Yanmar mechanics?

/ Yanmar mechanics? #1  

matt_1500

Tractor
YM1500
I have a YM1500 that needs a few minor fixes. These I can do my self but who do I take it to if it needs something I cant do (engine overhaul, transmission prolems, etc)? Anyone have experiences with Deere doing work on Yanmar tractors? Do I just take it to a basic mechanic shop? I bought my tractor from a private party so there is no yanmar dealer near by.

Thanks in advance.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #2  
Before I purchased my Yanmar, I talked with 2 local mechanics who work out of their homes. They both said they would work on Yanmar tractors if I would help get parts. Parts shouldn't be a problem on the Internet.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #3  
You are not likely to find any factory authorized shop of any brand that will work on a gray market tractor. Unless you can find a local independent shop or a wrenchy neighbor, you pretty much have to do it yourself, with parts from the internet. Therein lies the reason these tractors are so cheap.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #4  
Give us a location and perhaps someone will know of a shop or individuals that works on Yanmars.

Bob

/ Yanmar mechanics? #5  
Isn't the internet great? People with similar interests can get knowlege and help without having to go to a dealership and be told they are lower than scum for having a grey market tractor. Ask someone who is disinterested, helpful and has the knowlege and most people will be happy to give their opinion. Fortunately if someone gives an incorrect answer (or an answer just to get business) others will pipe up.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #6  
cfoxmd,
I guess I don't understand your answer. You replied to Bob's post who actually seems willing to help him /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Yanmar mechanics? #7  
If I were you.. I'd hang out at the JD dealerships, and make a friend out of a mechanic there...and then 'rent' him after hours.. as he will have experience working on yanmar engines.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Yanmar mechanics? #8  
I would say your best bet is to become your own mechanic. Buy a couple of manuals for parts and repair and buy some tools and fix whatever is broken. If you get parts from a reputable source (like Len Sheaffer or the like) they can also likely help diagnose your problems and recommend fixes - that has been my experience. The main benefit is you get the fun of learning how to work on tractors, get to buy cool tools and manuals, and likely will save quite a bit of money instead of paying a mechanic to fix your tractor. These tractors are very simple machines to work on, and not threatening in their size. There is no reason why the average person with simple hand tools and a couple of manuals cannot do all of their tractor maintenance and repair, up to and including engine/transmission overhaul (although in the case of the transmission, you would probably be money ahead to purchase a complete unit off of a junk tractor, if it could be found). Good luck.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #9  
I agree. If you are experienced at turning wrenches or just reasonably adept at mechanical things, you should be able to work on most of the systems on these tractors. One caveat, injector pump and injector work should be farmed out to a diesel shop unless you are already experienced enough to have the proper equipment. I took the injectors and pump off my 186D to a shop in Chattanooga, TN to be rebuilt since there was no one local capable of doing it.

/ Yanmar mechanics? #10  
I'd love to be my own mechanic. Can someone recommend a few books to get me started? I have a parts book and a Yanmar FF205D which is similar in size to the F 20D I think. Very different transmission but I just want a basic tractor book. thanks, brett