Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel?

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #1  

Torx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1500 and YM226
I have seen some air bubbling from around the side of my fuel/injector/injection pump on a YM1500. i have seen it called many different things.
Regular or Hi Temp RTV gasket maker/sealant doesn't play well with diesel. It just melts like wax. Since there is no gasket that I know of, I just want to seal the entire area where the fuel/injector pump fits into its housing next to the fuel bowl. Whenever I use the bleed screw from the fuel input hose, it lets fuel trickle down all over the fuel injector/injection/pump and destroys the sealants that I have handy. I have seen some other areas that I would like to seal as I try to track down where and why I am getting air into the fuel system causing me much grief.
Thanks

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel?
Sorry for the duplicate posting. I got a Server error on my first one so I re-submitted.
This is the thread with the fewest typos, so I would like keep this one.

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #3  
Look for a polysulfide sealant.

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #4  
I've had good success with Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket since I was very young (that would be over 50 years)

Works on everything but alcohol.

Hilomar is good stuff too...

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #5  
You need to find out why air is "bubbling" around your injection pump. Sealant is not normally intended to be used around fuel.

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #6  
You need to find out why air is "bubbling" around your injection pump. Sealant is not normally intended to be used around fuel.
Sorry but I totally disagree! PolySulfide sealant is made for fuel tank sealing. Used on pretty much every wet wing flying unless there is a bladder.

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #7  
SEAL ALL usually at wally world .... any thing but acetone...

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #8  
Sorry but I totally disagree! PolySulfide sealant is made for fuel tank sealing. Used on pretty much every wet wing flying unless there is a bladder.
I don't know about the sealant being fit for service or not, but do agree that a sealant should not be necessary. FIND the cause of the leak and fix it. Nothing, neither air nor fuel, should be "bubbling" from around any part of the fuel system. AFAIK, there is no gaskets in the fuel lines, just compression type fittings that should seal as long as there is no grit in the joint. Remove the line (s) clean thoroughly and maybe even do a light emery cloth cleaning to remove any burrs and reattach the high pressure lines. The inflow side should just have slight head pressure on it and easily sealed without resorting to gasket compounds.

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #9  
I don't know about the sealant being fit for service or not, but do agree that a sealant should not be necessary. FIND the cause of the leak and fix it. Nothing, neither air nor fuel, should be "bubbling" from around any part of the fuel system. AFAIK, there is no gaskets in the fuel lines, just compression type fittings that should seal as long as there is no grit in the joint. Remove the line (s) clean thoroughly and maybe even do a light emery cloth cleaning to remove any burrs and reattach the high pressure lines. The inflow side should just have slight head pressure on it and easily sealed without resorting to gasket compounds.

I believe the leak he is talking about is where the base of the injection pump sits on shims and then the side of the block. Maybe just a tad of crankcase pressure causing the bubbles?

/ Any Ideas for a good sealant to use around diesel fuel? #10  
Im with winston. the guy is talking about sealing the pump to the block. If there is worn rings and or cylinder bore there is the potential for pressure behind the pump. And as he says when he bleeds the pump the fuel runs down the block and then eats the gasket material away causing the leak. BUt this is just an oil leak that sounds like its caused by more other problems.

A cork gasket would work here i think without sealant...but that would change the pump spacing and timing maybe??? I know almost zero when we get to the injector pump so i am no expert here.

I would try the Ultra or extreme gray (dont think its the ul;tra grey thats the common one, there is another that has a similar term??) sealant and see what it says??

There is also flange sealant that i know works with gas...loctite 515.