2310d 4wd problem

/ 2310d 4wd problem #1  

kfin

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2310D
The 4 wd has stopped working on my 2310d. The lever by your left foot just swings back and forth. And also if you push the tractor it makes a "clunk" sound, does it when running also but you cannot really hear it. If you put your hand on the "pipe housing" part that runs underneath the tractor from where the 4wd lever goes to the front of the tractor you can feel it hitting each time it makes the noise. Something in there is loose.....not sure if this would be the same issue or separate.

Any ideas? Which manuals would I need to figure this out?

Thanks
Keith

/ 2310d 4wd problem #2  
Full of ideas. :D If your 2310 has a drop box like I think it does I believe you will end up draining the transmission and dropping the drop box. I don't believe it is that complicated. I am sending you a pm.

/ 2310d 4wd problem
Okay I have taken the drive shaft off, there were 3 balls out in the front so I think that was the clunking problem. I have the front and back both packed with grease and all 6 balls pushed in. I believe that part is ready to put back together.

I also drained the transmission so I could take the drop box off to see about the lever. It was locked in 4wd drive as the bottom set of gears was pushed back and engaged. Not sure how this box is supposed to operate but it looks to me like when the lever is pushed forward (put in 4wd) it should push the bottom gear back to engage it. I have attached 2 pictures. The small piece fell out when I took the drop box off, I am assuming that the flat part fits in the groove of at the front of the bottom gear and the round part fits on the piece welded onto the lever. This would make the gear move back and forth with the lever....but not positive about that.

The piece of basically flat stock that is welded to the lever handle....should it be straight? If it was, it seems like the 2 pieces would fit right together and be able to move the gear. The piece of flat stock, as you can see in the picture is bent quite a bit. How to proceed from here?? Any suggestions yet.

Thanks guys/gals

piece.JPG

lever.JPG

/ 2310d 4wd problem
Thanks Winston.... there is a pin that holds the lever part together. Can I just drive that pin out to get the lever piece by itself to flatten it out? If so, is it reusable by simply driving it back in?

Thanks,
Gonna try and put it together tonight or tomorrow.

/ 2310d 4wd problem #6  
I believe that is a 6mm x 25mm spring roll pin that holds the shift lever on. Yes you should be able to drive it out and them re use it. Just wondering if that piece is going to straighten out without breaking. I have to believe it must not be heat treated or it wouldn't have bent without breaking to start with. Someone with more knowledge than me might tell us if they think heating it before straightening might be a good idea. My inclination would be to heat it before bending. Just my 2 cents, doesn't make it correct. But if you don't have access to a torch it might not matter.

/ 2310d 4wd problem
Ok. I got the drop box put back together, put everything back together with ball bearings packed in grease. It at least feels like it is shifting in and out of 4wd when the lever is moved front to back.

Problem though. When lever is in 2wd, the front tires just kind of skid, no turning. If I put it in 4wd, the tires turn just fine in forward and reverse. Is it actually in 4wd? What could be wrong that the tires will not turn in 2wd .

I jacked up the front and with the lever in both 4wd and 2wd, the front tires spin in opposite directions when I turn one of them.

Would it be safe to till the garden if I left the lever in 4wd position with all the tires turning?

/ 2310d 4wd problem #8  
Is the forward position on your shift lever in 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?

Are you saying when in 2 wheel drive (all wheels on the ground) and letting the clutch out the front wheels will skid?

With front jacked up and turning one wheel this proves your front differential is ok. That is all.

Did you test shift the drop box before installing it back on the transmission? Did the gear slide and engage as it should?

/ 2310d 4wd problem
Forward is 4 wd, rear is 2wd

Just did the tire rotating deal again. Results are

Tractor in gear, one tire jacked up. Can turn tire by hand but is rough in 2wd. Tire will not turn in 4wd at all. Both tires the same.

Both tires jacked up, tractor in gear. 2wd and 4wd are the same. Tires turn freely by hand but in opposite directions.

Yes, the drop box shifting was working fine before i put in back in.

Yes, all tires on ground, tractor running. In 2wd, the tires just skid....no spinning. In 4wd, everything appears to work as it should. Tires spin fine in forward and reverse.

/ 2310d 4wd problem #10  
4 wheel drive sounds very normal. Differential seems normal.

Something is not right in the drop box but I don't know what. I have looked and looked at the 2210 drawing of the dropbox. The sliding gear on the lower shaft must be grabbing on something when it slides forward but I have no idea what.

I doubt it would hurt to run it in 4 wheel drive but please don't sue if you try and something goes ka put.