3-Point Hitch Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #1  

thunderheart

Tractor
YM3110
Hey folks,

Recently, my 3110 has been making a whining noise when I raise the lift. The tractor has not been used much during the winter other than a little snow clearing with the scrapeblade. I noticed it right at the end of the season last year but just let it go and figured I'd address it "next year". Well "next year" has turned into "this year" so ... Anyway it seems to happen when the lift is unloaded, or has a really light implement attached. With the scapeblade yes, but with the heavy-duty disc no. The lift hold up good as far as I can tell and no external leaks. The noise is accompanied by a slight vibration that can be felt in the seat.

Another thing that may have contributed is that I noticed the lift travels too far when raising. What I mean is that the lift arms seem to over-travel when the control level is pulled all the way up and "bump" into the bottom of the seat. When this happens you can tell that the lift isn't happy and engine loads slightly. Last year I just compensated manually by being careful not to raise the control arm too high and quickly lowering it a bit if I did notice the change in engine sound at the top of the travel when raising an implement. I'm guessing this over-travel is a matter of adjustment and I seem to remember a procedure in my little ITM manual about how to go about it. However, I'm wondering if this might have caused damage to something that lead to this new noise?

I'm meticulous about keeping levels right and I check engine and hydraulic oil levels every time I use the tractor after it has been idle overnight. I put just a little bit of hydraulic oil last year. Maybe 1/2 quart just to keep it at the top of the checkers on the dipstick. Oil has remained looking brand new. I've got about 60 hours on it since I bought the tractor but haven't serviced it. However, I do have the filters and consumables sittin' out there waiting for me to get off my backside and do it.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Dallas

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #2  
I am not very familiar with the 3110 but according to Hoye it uses the same hydraulic control valve as the 2000. There is a feedback rod that goes from a little plate on the end of the rockshaft to the control valve. That is what keeps the lift from wanting to go higher. If out of adjustment the lift will continue to try and go up and cause the relief valve to go off. Properly adjusted it will keep the lift piston from bottoming out. May not be just like your 3110 but look for a rod similiar to #58 shown in this drawing. Yanmar Tractor Parts: HYDRAULIC_LIFT

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt
Hey Winston I think I know the rod you are talking about but I thought that was part of the tiller draft control. Does it have a dual function or am I totally out to lunch in my understanding? Looks like there are a couple of nuts on the end of the rod that are run all the way out so they don't look like they are doing much.

Also, I still can't find my manual and I want to complete my spring service by changing the hydro fluid. The fluid remains absolutely pristine but I have no idea if the filter has been cleaned or is even present on my Vietnamese refurbed tractor. I think the filter/screen in located in the sump with the cover plate on the outside just below the PTO shaft right? Just remove the three bolts and the whole thing slides out. Clean with fresh diesel and replace in reverse order. Or does the filter/screen need to be replaced? Seems like I remember they are fairly expensive but if it should be replaced I'll order it.

Dallas

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #4  
yes, the screen is behind the triangle plate just under the PTO. Unless, your screen has been trashed ,you just wash it out and replace . You will loose about 5 gallons of hyd fluid when you take the plate off unless, you drain from under the tractor. Try not raising your 3 pt all the way up and see if you get a whine. Mine will whine a little if I raise all the way up. I have a stop on my 3 pt lever to keep me from raising it up as far as it will go

Thanx Ken. How often should do you do this service? Every hundred hours seems a bit of an overkill to me. Like I said when I bought the tractor @ about 50 hrs (showing) the hydraulic oil looked brand new and has remained that way. A very light honey color and no weird odor or anything.

Thanx,

Dallas

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #6  
Kenmac is the one to get advice from on the 3110. My 2002d has two rods coming back from the 3 point. One is for feedback and the other for tiller control cable. Again, without pictures I can't know about your 3110.

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #7  
Height adj..jpgHyd. Filter.jpgHere's a pic. of my YM2000 setup. Don't know the 3110 but maybe the same. At the bottom of the Pic. inside LH. Fender. The Shaft to the Lift Arms are Adjusted by the Locking Nuts. Which the linkage/Shaft is connected to the Control Valve. When the Lift Arms reachs the Desired Height that is were you Adj. the linkage to Stop. Or releave the Pressure to the Valve. "Pull the Tab away". If I recall which is still Difficult. The way I adj. my linkage/Height was raise the Arms until it began to Whine. Or reach the Highest Point and then Shorten the Linkage" Adjusting Nuts" to Relieve and Stop the Lifting and Tension to the Control Valve. In the 2nd. Pic. is were My Pickup Screen is located. I bought it AS IS and was getting the same problems you discribed. When I was Serviceing it I had to Replace it. It looked to be a VN. Ghetto Rig. Bent up, Beat up and looked like someone tried to Solder and Replace the Screen. It worked but I gladly payed the 55.00$+ to replace it. Almost 5 Gal. JD.303. and I haven't had a Prob. since. ;)

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #8  
The set up for the 3110 is the same as the 2000 like in carey's pic under the seat .His screen will be at the rear (under PTO) I've only changed my hydro oil once since I've had the tractor. If you don't know what type fluid was used, you may want to change it so, you'll know what's in there. Next time I change , I think I'm going to transmission. This hyd fluid gets hot in the summer during extended use,and the loader slows down, won't lift as much, etc,. I don't know how to keep it cool . Tranny fluid may do the same, but I won't know unless I try it. I may end up having to install some type of cooler somewhere

Well I did the hydraulic service on my 3110 today and found the filter in pretty good condition and only a little bit of very fine "trash" adhering to it. However, that trash seemed to be primarily very fine iron filings. I also found some larger curled iron shaving in the sump back near the filter cover. There wasn't a lot of it but I could only reach in a few inches with my fingers. Looking in there with a flashlight all the gears I could see looked to be in really good shape. No visible damage or wear. Should I worry about the shavings I found? I suspect it is common to find "some" filings in there but honestly not sure. After I cleaned the screen, replaced it, and refilled with new hydraulic oil everything worked and I didn't seem to have the whining noise anymore. Just wondering about those shavings ...

/ Whining noise and vibration with 3 pt #10  
I wouldn't worry about it. I had some in mine. It doesn't keep me up at night. I used a magnet to fish some of the shavings out of mine. I doubt I got them all. I'll sleep ok tonight though:D ;)