Yanmar ym187D. What to look for?

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #1  

arnoldziffel

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h, Mahindra 2516, several Toro Wheel Horse 522xi machines.
I'm considering a Yanmar ym187D. With powershift. Approx. 900 hours.

I know almost nothing about this model. I'd be using it to finish mow a 5 acre field.

What are the things specific to this model that you would recommend to check or test?

Thanks.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #2  
I can't think of anything specific to that model. Just check out things you would on any used tractor. Are you getting a finish mower with it and what size mower? That is a lot of grass to finish mow.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for?
It does not come with attachments.

I'd be buying a finish mower for it. What size mower would be maximum for it?

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #4  
It does not come with attachments.

I'd be buying a finish mower for it. What size mower would be maximum for it?

Based on personal experience and a little googling on finish mowers I would say you are right on the edge of a 5'. I think a 5' could bog you down in tall grass. I also think the 187 would handle it if mowed regularly. I mow with a 5' Woods finish mower with my 2002d, 20 pto horsepower. The 187d has about 15 pto horsepower. I can also tell you high lift blades require quite a bit more horsepower. I buy oregon mulching blades for my Woods and cut off about half of the lift edge. Can't tell the cut is any different, not near as much dust and less horsepower to pull.

Attachments

• 100_3754.jpg
    100_3754.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 756
   / Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #5  
That is a desirable and rare model. There aren't any weakness aside from finding one that has been beat to death.

Just do it, if it doesn't have any obvious problems. You can easily find that it has already sold.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for?
$7,500 too much to pay for it?

If yes, what is ball park for a clean machine?

Last edited:
   / Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #7  
In our area that is to high. That would about right with a loader around here.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #8  
No common problems with them that I'm aware of. I had it's close brother, the 186D. I ran a 5' woods belly mower on my with no problem. I will say in tall grass you will not want to take a full bite. As long as you mow regularly, I feel you would be fine with a 5 footer. Around here that price is way high. it wouldn't bring that even with a loader. With that being said, an unusually clean one will bring a premium price. On my 186, there was only a 3 digit hr. meter, so if it showed 900 hrs it may actually have 1900, 2900, 3900, etc...... so just be aware.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #9  
Picture 067.jpgI use a 5' Frontier/Woods on the YM2000. and on regular cuttngs I never have to run over 2000 rpms. 1st gear PTO. I believe I Tach Out at 2800. You'll probly need to add front ballast depending on the weight of it. Esp. if you have to lift it often.

/ Yanmar ym187D. What to look for? #10  
$7,500? It looks like these have ascended into cult favorites like a 57 Chev.

These deserve that status, but for me I wouldn't buy anything that I have to baby to preserve its appearance and resale value. Its just a working tool after all.

For a price comparison there was a clean one (or was it a 186D?) on ebay around $6k for many months.

The previous model YM186D will do the same work, its nearly identical. YM187D was an upgrade with slightly longer wheelbase so more comfortable for the operator, and transmission said to be upgraded. I don't see anything about my 186D's transmission that could be improved. It does feel tight to dismount, no other problems.

Maybe the guy is bluffing on the price. Offer him $5,500. Seems to me that would be top dollar unless it looks showroom new.