Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #1  

astro

I have finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a Yanmar. The question is which one...I have narrowed it down to either a YM1702 or YM1510D. I am leaning toward the 1702 just because it is bigger and would work better with a 4 ft brush hog (also getting a tiller). But on the other hand the idea of 4wd is attaractive too. Price between the two are equivalent.

I have about 10 clear fairly level acres that I want to garden. Maybe plant some fruit trees and x-mas trees and berries. I would appreciate any wisdom pro or con on which tractor you experienced Yanmar owners can give me.

Also it easier to get parts for one tractor over the other, it appears the 1015D is a more popular tractor. Or is this something I do not need to worry about since they are both Grey Market Tractors.

Appreciate the help...Astro

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #2  
If I might suggest another tractor that would be close to the same price and would be a good compromise. The YM1610D. It is bigger than the 1510D and you would get the 4 wheel drive you would have with the 1702. If memory serves me correctly the 1510's did not have a proportional lift. I'm not even sure if proportional discribes it correctly. The lift control lever re-centers itself each time you raise or lower the 3 point hitch. The hitch stays where you put it but the lever goes back to center. I had a little Satoh that had that. I like the lever to stay where I put it. I may be wrong, but I think it was the 1510's that did that.

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #3  
The 1601D and 1610D (as well as the 1702) have crawl range, plus a better dash. They are on a longer chassis, so they handle a loader a little better. The 1510D is a two-point tractor, not three-point, so make sure it has been converted if you go with that one. There is nothing wrong with a 1510D, it's just a little small and lacks a couple features over the next larger models.

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy
I looked at a 1610D it was about $700 more than the YM 1702 and $600 more than the 1510D. I am trying to stay within a budget.

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #5  
$600 would be well spent i think anyone who has bought a tractor and could of got a bigger platform or 600 more # with more hp and size would. I'd go slightly over budget and a bigger tractor than having to put up with a tractor that isn't expandable or have nicer platform my votes on the 1610..
i'd say any that has powershift you'd be well ahead on spending 600 for..

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #6  
If you are using it for mowing & tilling on level geound, you don't really have a need for 4WD. The big advantage for the YM1510 would be the powershift transmission for mowing. If the tractors are lower quality tractors , I'd pick the YM1702 to stay away from the possibilty of future 4 wd problems.

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #7  
If you are on level ground and not terribly wet...stick with 2WD. Spend your money on more power/heavier/longer wheelbase and skip the 4WD. Even with ground engaging devices (plow, disc, harrow, etc) the 2WD will work just fine. I have a 1500 for mowing/pulling gang mowers and a 4300 John Deere for about everthing else. Even with ground engaging devices I do just as well (usually) with the JD in 2WD mode. I'd spend money on power...brush hoggin with 5 foot cutter is a lot faster on 10 acres that a 4 foot cutter.

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy
I did some checking on a Yanmar website and the hydraulic system on the 3 point hitch of the YM1702 is suppose to allow the hydraulics to be used to set and hold an implement at a specified angle over varying terrain. This will allow for tilling berms into a hillside or holding a box scrapper in the proper position. I asked the owner about this feature but it did not have it. Anyone have any thoughts.

The Ym1702 tractor, 4ft brush hog and tiller for approx. $3500 is that a good price?

Thanks

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #9  
Sounds good to me.. I paid 3000 for my 1700 by itself.. with a defect or two ( 1 leak, easilly fixable and bad alternator ). And I had to work him over for that price...

Bottom line here are some things to think about tractors in general:

Make a list of what you absolutely have to have on/in the tractor to do your intended jobs. Make another list of bells and whistle you want but can live without... decide a max price.. stick to it except for extreme deals or real close margins.
general rules of thumb..

If you don't specifically have to have 4wd , you can get a larger 2wd tractor and be just as good off. the larger tractor will weigh more.. and that will give you some traction benefit to partially offset the 4wd benefit you aren't getting. ( large agg tractor in the late 60's were in the 9000 pund range.. ran dual rear tires, and were pulling machines...and they got by for decades liek this ).
That said.. your 2wd is cheaper... though the 4wd will do a bit of work that a slightly larger 2wd would do.. due to traction.. plus your 4wd will hold value better, and have a higher resale value ( who sells their tractor? that would be like selling a familly member...well.. bad analogy.. I got a few I could sell.. though might have to pay you to take..etc.. ).

Some options are non-mandatory defacto prerequisites for other options. For instance...Though a front end loader will work on a 2wd tractor without power steering.. your friends will be less likely to arm wrestle with you as your arms will really build up to 'hulk' status over time...might impress the ladies too. Power steering and 4wd are very nice working options with a loader... especially if you drive in hilly terain.. It is hard to describe the feeling of driving down a good slope.. with a full bucket in a 2wd tractor.. then feel the rear wheels lift just as your speed picks up. Sure you can drop the bucket and re-stabilize.. but that split second adrenilon rush give you one heck of a pucker quotient...

good luck

Soundguy

/ Decisions, Decisions - Which YM to buy #10  
Just to throw in my two cents... I have a YM2000. I use it primarily for mowing (5' cutter), blading (light grading and snow), tilling, and occasional pulling on flat to moderately sloped land. I've never had a shortage of HP, but traction has frequently been a limiting factor. If I were going to upgrade, the first thing I'd go for is 4WD. I don't mind the lack of power shift or other features. They may be handy, but I can get the job done without them. To me, that's the bottom line when your on a budget. I don't have any experience with the smaller YM's, but I have a hard time imagining pulling a 5' cutter with anything smaller than my tractor. And yes, a 5' cutter does make a big difference if you have much to mow.