Operating temp

/ Operating temp #1  

RonJ

I just purchased a Yanmar 1700D gray model version. I replaced the temperature warning light with a mechanical temperature gauge. After the tractor warms up and about 1/2 hour into moving a large pile of dirt I noticed the gauge temp was 190 degrees. Is this in the normal range for these tractors? The tractor shows 14 hours.
RonJ

/ Operating temp #2  
I hope you know That's not the original hours for that tractor.. 35 year old tractor with 14 hrs ???? I would say,, temp should be around 200* or so. make sure your radiator is clean... Welcome to the site:welcome::welcome:

/ Operating temp
Thanks for the reply. I realize that the 14 hours is /or has been adjusted since the " refurbishment" whatever that entailed.

/ Operating temp #4  
They put pressure caps on radiators for a reason (temps greater than 100C) Does your tractor have one? Or is it just atmospheric? then, 212 is tops.

Hotter is better until the coolant is forced out !

/ Operating temp #5  
Unless someone's added a kit. The ym 1700 does not have a water pump. It's a thermo siphon system. Not sure of the coolant mix but, I do know it's not a 50/50 mix. If you run 50/50 you may run the engine too hot... You can purchase a water pump kit if you want to convert the cooling system over. Hang around,,Someone with a 1700 can guide you in the right direction on the coolant mix

Ok I looked up the coolant mix for you. It states that you should use no more than 25 % antifreeze. the rest should be distilled water

/ Operating temp
Thanks kenmac. I'll get a tester and check it.

/ Operating temp #7  
190*-195* temp. is about where my 1700 runs, I have pushed it over 200* when bush-hogging, the radiator screen can become clogged and the temp will rise quickly,
The temperature can be reduced by stop working the tractor and let the engine run at about 1500-1800 rpm for about 3-4 minutes,

at first I used to lower the RPM's to an idle but notice no change in the temperature, then it occurred to me that it needed more air flow forced through the radiator in order to cool it down,.......... (Not that the engine will run hot at idle speed,) If all is right in the cooling system it won't,
Although occasionally it might get hotter than normal when being run hard,
Just as been said, the correct fluid mixture ratio, always check the radiator screen, and pay attention to the overflow reservoir, You should be seeing fluid in the bottle, if not... the cap isn't working correctly and can result in what happen with me one time, It blew the radiator open at the top seem, Lucky I was able to repair it myself and save $$$;)

/ Operating temp #8  
I also have the 1300 that is a thermo siphon system. It will stay at 190-195. I don.t run anything but straight water in it. I have tried water/mix but it will run 200 to 21o so water works for me. I also will let it cool down by stopping work for a coke!

/ Operating temp #9  
Anything at or above the 1/2 mark on the temp gauge is too hot on any vehicle I have ever owned.