Ballast Tire Ballast

/ Tire Ballast #1  

jpalooka

On a Yanmar1700 with 8.3/8-24 rear tire how many gal of water will it take to fill it to the recomended level and how much calcium chloride for each tire. (US masurments) or is there somethig better to use than calcium chloride.
I live in Mississippi and the winters are not to cold (20 deg. F would be awfull cold).
The front tires are 4.00-12 need to know how much on this one to.
And how much air PSI after fill. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joe Palooka

/ Tire Ballast #2  
For your tire size you will need approx. 16 gal. of solution wich will give you 130 lbs. of liquid weight per tire. A mixture of 3.5 lbs. of calcium chloride per gal of water will take it to -45. I do not use CaCl because of corrosion. I use an alcohol mixture. In TN I use a 50/50 mixture. Tires should be filled to 75% capacity. I do not put ballast in my front tires because they are so small. I have a 1401 and I have 75lbs of weight on the front of the tractor. Do not go over 120 lbs. Tire pressure on the back tires should be in the range of 12-18 and the front 16-36.

/ Tire Ballast #3  
I don't use rear tire fill, calciou chloride, because it will rust the rims, and it is poisonish when, not if it leaks in time. You can use windshield washer fluid, if you like. I don't think its needed that much, you will always be a little light, as they don't weigh much for the power they have. You can put 160 pounds on the front of of a 1700 with no problem, probably more. I have 120 and I probably will add more later, although so far it has been enough, I live in MS also Oxford area. I am using the John Deere weighs.

/ Tire Ballast #4  
I also used windshield washer fluid. I used a 12v dc bilge pump mounted in a bucket to pump the fluid in. After a couple of gallons, I would shut the pump off to release the air. The air pressure would push right back through the pump, then I would continue on. It was a very easy experience that went very quickly. The pump was around 15 bucks, and the fluid was about 75 cents a gallon. So far it's been two winters in frozen Ohio with no problems.

/ Tire Ballast #5  
It will only rust the rims if it leaks & the leak is not fixed. I've used chloride in my tractor tires for over 30 years & never replaced a rim. I had one tractor that had tubeless tires with chloride & it has never caused a problem.The tractor is a 1976 model.

/ Tire Ballast #6  
I have a leak in my rear tire at the valve stem and there is water in it. It has rusted the rim. Do I have to remove the tire and refinish the rim??? The pressure is 12bs now.
Max

/ Tire Ballast #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I have to remove the tire and refinish the rim??? )</font>

Probably so. If it's a tubeless tire and leaking around the valve stem, it's possible that it's just a bad valve stem, but if it's corroded around it, then it probably needs to be fixed. If it's a tube type tire, then the leak in the tube may be almost anywhere and the water/air that leaks out of the tube is just getting out around the valve stem.

/ Tire Ballast #8  
To do it right you should remove the tire, remove the corrosion and repaint the rim. As an aircraft mechanic I can tell you that if you don't either sandblast or grind the corrosion away, IT WILL COME BACK. Even if you just paint over it.
The quick way is to just replace the tube and forget about it.

My valve stems were brass and the calcium ate them from the inside in less than 2 years. That's why I switched to windshield washer fluid.

/ Tire Ballast #9  
I made a bracket and mounted two 50# bar bell weights on each rear wheel of a YM1510. It is a few #s short of the 130 with fluid but I could take them off to mow in less than 5 minutes. I only used them when pulling a load. I just finished rebuilding the front end of a YM240 that had carried too much weight on the front bumper. Every moving part of the front end was worn out and the steering box. BIG bucks. Weight on the wheels would have saved a lot of the wear.