Ballast Ballast Injector

/ Ballast Injector #1  

jpalooka

Well I built me one, and it worked fine for putting antifreez and water in the tires adds about 66 lb., 16 gal. of water and 2 gal. antifreez to each of the rear tires on a 1700.
Thanks for all the info Ill try to put up a picture of it.

Attachments

• 355308-253A.jpg
    355308-253A.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 286
   / Ballast Injector #2  
I'd be interested in the details of your little creation. I've been holding off ballasting my other tractor for just that reason; no practical way to pump in the fluid.

Something for you to consider though: my ballast is the same as you'd find in an automotive radiator, somewhere between 50/50 and 70/30 antifreeze-to-water ratio. It's used coolant, obtained from a Jiffy Lube station. Unless I've got my numbers wrong, 2 gallons to 16 equates to something like a 13/87 mixture.

Water alone weights 8.31 pounds per gallon at 39.2 degrees, and propylene glycol is about 5% heavier. So 18 gallons each should have added something more like 150 pounds per tire.

But is that really all it took to fill the YM1700 tires to the 70% mark? I realize yours are a bit smaller, but there's no way I can handle my YM240 tires without help. I may be off some, but I'm guessing they're closer to 300 pounds each.

//greg//