Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #1  

robinclarkco

Tractor
Yanmar 1820D
Hi, I am Rob and live in southwest WA. state. I purchased a Yanmar 1820D last year when we moved onto our 5+ acres. Since everything grows like mad here, I needed a brush hog and front- end loader to keep up. Tractor is 1983 vintage (way younger than me)but runs well. I can't believe all the features on this thing. Never owned a diesel before but learning.The knowledge and "can do" attitude you guys demonstrate is great. As the property is not flat, I will be rearranging back wheels etc to improve stability- the forum and manual tells me to only work on the rear wheels??? One last thing- the PTO lower speed is really slow- and the previous owner said I shouldn't adjust the setting -any thoughts from someone out there???? Thanks Rob

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #2  
Re: Hello from Washington State

Welcome from Wisconsin

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #3  

Welcome from alittle north of you.

I don't own diesel, but learn all you can about how to store it in a high humidity environment. One would think that a place called Brush Prairie would be kinda flat, but maybe your on the edge of the praire. :laughing:

My brush cutter is hydraulic and works best at a specific speed, which for me is towards the top end of the throttle. BTW my whole place has one flat spot and it's where the house is, so i can empathize with your hilly conditions.

So there is typically an rpm range that your Brush Hog is specified to work at and i believe that most PTO have multi gear to allow one to have the tractor engine at it's optimal speed while keeping the rpm on the brush cutter at it's optimal speed. So for instance in heavy cutting conditions you would need to have the extra horse power available from you engine to keep the brush cutter cutting and bogging your engine down, so you might have to bump up the engine speed and possible readjust your PTO gearing to get back into rpm range for the brush cutter.

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #4  

:welcome:

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #5  

Welcome from alittle north of you.
One would think that a place called Brush Prairie would be kinda flat, but maybe your on the edge of the praire. :laughing:

Brush Prairie is just south of Battle Ground, so maybe his place is Battle Brush.

:)

Bruce

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington

Thank you cqaigy2
It is funny that I'm on the side of a hill in area that is 95 % flat- go figure
Thanks for the detail in your response. My issue is not the speed (rpm) of the PTO, it is the actual lowering speed or time to drop the brush hog. It raises up very quickly but can take 2 to 5 minutes to drop back down- sorry for the confusion
Thx Rob

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington

Bruce
I knew when I bought Yanmar that I was in Kubota territory. I am outnumbered.
Rob

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #8  

Thank you cqaigy2
It is funny that I'm on the side of a hill in area that is 95 % flat- go figure
Thanks for the detail in your response. My issue is not the speed (rpm) of the PTO, it is the actual lowering speed or time to drop the brush hog. It raises up very quickly but can take 2 to 5 minutes to drop back down- sorry for the confusion
Thx Rob

Some tractors have an adjustment for the drop speed, which will sometimes go all the way to "no drop." One of the Yanmar experts here would know.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/

Bruce

/ Yanmar 1820D Tire Adjustment & PTO Question from Washington #10  

Welcome to TractorByNet!

We moved your thread to the Yanmar forum. :)