Fair price for YM186D w no loader?

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I bought a second YM186D with loader and power steering.

Now I'm selling the first YM186D. Everything works but it's ugly - lots of faded mismatching red paint and rattlecan red primer sprayed over its decals and many dents. Just a basic tractor.

I advertised this at $3,300 with six photos and a description of what Powershift does, hp rating, etc. That ad expired with no offers. I just re-listed it with a simpler ad for $3,000. No response to this ad either.

This San Francisco Bay Area Craigslist reaches a population of 8 million so there must be people out there reading the ad and ignoring it.

What do I need to do to sell this thing?

CL ad:
Yanmar YM186D Tractor

Ad photo:

00Q0Q_6d6uMJ83oG7_600x450.jpg

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #2  
I'm thinking PRESENTATION. Cleanup/touch up, and get the "stuff" away from it. Remove the suitcase weights, but mention in deal. "Tire Shine" on the tires. I would have thought $4,000.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #3  
What Normde2001 said plus it's a tougher sale. Most scut and cut users want an FEL and power steering. Kind of what you figured out after having this one! :thumbsup:

Good luck

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #4  
Picture 006.jpgClean it up and I found this at HF in the Bargin Ben. 15.00$ a can of Red and Blk. sure won't hurt it.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader?
I'm thinking PRESENTATION. Cleanup/touch up, and get the "stuff" away from it. Remove the suitcase weights, but mention in deal. "Tire Shine" on the tires. I would have thought $4,000.
I know you're right but ... dunno if I would make back $10/hour for all the hours this would take to get it up to 'pride of ownership' level.

I already went over the bodywork with fine polishing compound to get the uneven paint layers down to something uniform. I concluded that approach is hopeless. The cowl with light sprayover was the only part that cleaned up and the cowl's decals are still unevenly painted over. The rest of the sheet metal will need dings pounded and proper repainting to cover the uneven primer blotches and look respectable.

I had hoped this would sell based on what it can do. There are lots of hilly uneven vineyards around here where Powershift is ideal to keep moving as the terrain changes. But it seems that there's nobody so far who values 30 year old machinery based on its capability - as I would.

Bah. :gloomy:. Looks like I have a new winter project.

Hey I see there are new smilies! :us-california: (California Bear Flag).

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #6  
If it's gonna be a winter project as far as clean up.....you could always add a Coldwater bucket (under $2K) and ask $5500 to $6000 for it. Those little 186's are great tractors! Good luck.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #7  
Nah . . 1 hour, tops. Move it off by itself remove that big pipe and weights and that bucket, (whatever). Touch up rust on wheels with Rustoleum, shine tires, hit muffler and all black with Loctite EXTEND. When I was in the national guard we used to coat our trucks with diesel to make them shine temporarily for parades. You are just looking for a decent picture to get them to come and have a look.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #8  
Spray it or wipe it with olive oil, and it will shine up for the pictures. That may bring more buyers, and a fresh spray before they get there so it smells good.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #9  
Having been in the Ad business it is all about making the product look good ..... park it without the trailer near a nice fence, top of a hill with a sunset, just make it look sexy and it will sell especially at that price.

/ Fair price for YM186D w no loader? #10  
I agree! A 276D hit in the Atl. CL with a asking price of 5.000. Nice Ad. and the Pics. was So much better.