Yanmar1610D Engine

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #1  

yanmar1610d

Tractor
Yanmar1610D
I am wondering if anyone out there has a good Yanmar1610 engine for sale Cheap? One that does not have any problems. Does not burn oil or have blow by.

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #2  
You can expect to pay about $3,000, if you can find at a salvage yard.

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #3  
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: Is yours not rebuildable?

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #5  
Depends on what needs to be done. The 1610 does not have replaceable sleeves but could be sleeved at a machine shop. Also depends on whether you do it or have it done. Rings, rod bearings, necessary gaskets would run about $300. That is the lowest possible rebuild with your labor. If your not able to do the work why not visit some shops and get some rough estimates. In our neck of the woods there are quite a few independent shops that will work on most anything, probably are in Ga. too.

Can you elaborate a little more about the condition of the engine? Are you mechanically inclined?

/ Yanmar1610D Engine
Engine under a load, such as pulling harrows, has a lot of blow-by, oil flows out of the blow-by tube. Also the temp goes up to about the third mark on the gauge. Engine blows about 1/2 to a full quart of oil out per day of heavy use. Also engine when cold will turn around 2500 rpm's when hot and under a load it drops to around 2000 rpm's and loses power. Have already checked with one locale tractor repair shop. He stated to rebuild would be around $1400. I am not really sure if the little tractor is worth putting more money into it. Would love to have a larger tractor somewhere around 40+ hp. If I were to keep the Yanmar1610D I would only keep it to cut grass with finishing mower. Would have to change form Rice tires to Turf tires.

How hard is it to replace rings myself? I am wondering if I could but a larger piston and rings in it? Would that work instead of having to sleeve it?

Have though about selling the tractor, but I hate to sell someone something knowing it is not in good shape. But I guess someone would buy it. The question then is how much is it worth with the engine blowing oil? Paid $3500 for it about 14 years ago. It did what I need it to do for all those years. I guess I got my money out of it?

Depends on what needs to be done. The 1610 does not have replaceable sleeves but could be sleeved at a machine shop. Also depends on whether you do it or have it done. Rings, rod bearings, necessary gaskets would run about $300. That is the lowest possible rebuild with your labor. If your not able to do the work why not visit some shops and get some rough estimates. In our neck of the woods there are quite a few independent shops that will work on most anything, probably are in Ga. too.

Can you elaborate a little more about the condition of the engine? Are you mechanically inclined?

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #7  
I would think you could expect to take the $1400 off the asking price if you sell as is. In our area I would doubt you could get over $1500 with it blowing and using oil.

I don't know whether oversize pistons are available or not. Hoye or Fredricks could answer that. The engine would have to come out to have cylinders bored if you went with over sized pistons.

Could be you might lightly hone the cylinders, put in fresh rings and make a world of difference. Really no way to know until opened up and inspected.

/ Yanmar1610D Engine
Thanks....

I would think you could expect to take the $1400 off the asking price if you sell as is. In our area I would doubt you could get over $1500 with it blowing and using oil.

I don't know whether oversize pistons are available or not. Hoye or Fredricks could answer that. The engine would have to come out to have cylinders bored if you went with over sized pistons.

Could be you might lightly hone the cylinders, put in fresh rings and make a world of difference. Really no way to know until opened up and inspected.

/ Yanmar1610D Engine #9  
Check out the Fredricks Importing site. They could either 1) rebuild your engine, 2) drop in a totally rebuilt and dyno'ed engine into your tractor, or 3) use your tractor as a trade-in for a YM2610 or a YM2500 that has 30+Hp.

Fredricks dealer network has a dealer in GA. It may be a good way to go. My John Deere (aka YM2500) engine died. It needed not just an over-haul, but a total rebuild. For the cost of rebuild locally with my mechanic, it was wiser to get the 100% restored YM2610.

Think it over.

/ Yanmar1610D Engine
Wonder how much a 2610D would be after trading my 1610D in?