2002D fuel injection pump experiment

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #1  

winston1

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
As the followers of this forum know I am constantly messing with my tractor. This may get long but is not required reading. As stated before my 2002D was a Vietnam refurb and has dealt great misery in the past but been reliable for some time now. However, it has never run quite as cool as others that post on here. Without going into all the things I have done to the cooling system you will just have to believe me when I say the cooling system is in good condition. In the mid to upper 90 temperatures my tractor will run at about 5/8 of the way on the gauge when pulling a good load.

Now on to what I have done. Under the trouble shooting section of the repair manuals injection timing is listed as a possible cause. So I went through the timing check as shown in more than one manual. I don't know about other models but the timing marks on my 2002d crankshaft pulley and the mark on the timing cover are a good 2" apart. Rather hard to tell when they are actually lined up. Best I could tell my fuel started out at about top dead center instead of the prescribed 21 degrees BTDC. I pulled the pump, it had .020" worth of shims. .004" is suppose to change timing 1 degree. I took all .020" out, put a thin coat of rtv on the surfaces and bolted it up. I don't know how many of you have done this timing procedure but moving the crank very slowly and knowing exactly the degree the fuel starts out is not an exact science. I still think I am injecting a tad late but much closer then it was.

Now the results: Tractor temperature stayed right at the half way mark so did run cooler. Final determination is not in but I believe I gained horse power.

Now the bad news. When I removed my pump to access and remove the shims I found the pump housing broken where the plunger guide is at on #3 cylinder plunger. No doubt it has been broken for a long time. It is scary looking but when I came in and saw the price of a new pump is close to $600 that was even more scary.. All the cam lobes showing some wear but I wouldn't think is unusual for 31 years old and over 3300 hours. In any event I am going to run it and hope it doesn't crater and tear something else up.

Took some pictures of the pump and one shot looking down in the pump opening and one looking through the inspection plate opening. Hope some of you find this interesting. Next to last picture is the scary one.

Attachments

• 100_7195.JPG
    100_7195.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_7194.JPG
    100_7194.JPG
    895 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_7193.jpg
    100_7193.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_7192.jpg
    100_7192.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_7191.jpg
    100_7191.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 280
   / 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #2  
Think that missing piece is in Pan? I believe I would have to take a Look.

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment
Think that missing piece is in Pan? I believe I would have to take a Look.

I don't know for sure but doubt it because the pan was off the tractor after I purchased it. Old LCI Equipment changed the broken crankshaft. No way for me to be certain but I believe that break has been there since Vietnam. If you do a close up view of the last picture you can actually see the clearance on that guide. Very scary, I guess I am probably not being wise not spending the $600 for a new pump. $600 for an old retiree is not easy.

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #4  
That piece has been missing for a long time looking at the break. It appears to have been a poor casting as you can see up further along where the 2 halves meet it doesnt have a good bond/cast between them and appears to be quite porous. Is it my imagination or do the rollers on the plungers look scored and one has a piece out of it?

That piece has been missing for a long time looking at the break. It appears to have been a poor casting as you can see up further along where the 2 halves meet it doesnt have a good bond/cast between them and appears to be quite porous. Is it my imagination or do the rollers on the plungers look scored and one has a piece out of it?

Pictures may be deceptive, the rollers were pretty smooth. What would you do if it was yours?

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #6  
Yup, between the break, worn cam lobes and worn roller, you need a pump: however if mine, to enable an earlier pump, I would remove the studs from the opening and work on the surface of the opening with wet/dry emery paper on a perfactly flat surface, (glass, Plexi, etc.), and take a few .000" off the surface, (like milling a head). If wrong you can always reshim.

After some prayer and thinking it over I have ordered a new injection pump and shims. I just can't stand the thought of that broken housing possibly breaking and causing much more damage. I will feedback when done. :dollarsign:

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #8  
After some prayer and thinking it over I have ordered a new injection pump and shims. I just can't stand the thought of that broken housing possibly breaking and causing much more damage. I will feedback when done. :dollarsign:

That would have been my back-up plan.

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #9  
...pan was off the tractor after I purchased it. Old LCI Equipment changed the broken crankshaft.
I'm trying to imagine what stress could chip the corner off the casting like that. Is there a ding indicating a broken rod etc slammed into it? Is that pump even located where a broken crank or rods could hit it?

The broken casting looks like evidence of the VN shop knowingly using a damaged component off a grenaded engine.

No wonder that importer is gone. The VN wholesale operation near here went out of business apparently due to the unpredictable quality of what they were sent. The kids sent over here to run the import house were wonderful about supporting their customers (their retailers) and making an exchange when needed, but I think they had so many warranty returns that it made their business unprofitable.

I think you did the right thing buying another pump.

/ 2002D fuel injection pump experiment #10  
Any signs of that broken piece yet? If no then you can pretty well guess it was put in like that. I believe you stated LCI had the pan off so they would have seen it or the Fragments!! So my guess is typical VN.er. so Ditto... "Old LCI Equipment changed the broken crankshaft. No way for me to be certain but I believe that break has been there since Vietnam".