Mowing Finish mower for a 1500

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #1  

jdmar

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5425 & 4300, Yanmar 1500
I have a 1500 (2WD version) that I'll use to pull some gang mowers. I want to get a finish mower for some of the closer cutting needs. I have normal turf grass...not brush or weeds. I am looking for some experienced opinions on how big a mower I can go. I am sure a 4 foot would work but would prefer at least a 5 foot version. I doubt I can go up to a 6 foot but if others out there have experience or just good opinions I would appreciate a response. Thanks ahead of time for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #2  
I have ran a 5 ft mower behind a 1500. It will run it, but not as well as a 4 ft. You will want to add some weight to the front of the tractor when you have the mower raised. Also you will not want to miss a mowing because when the grass gets tall you will have a harder time mowing with the 5 ft mower. What kind of condition is you lawn it? Is it really flat and smooth? Any imperfections will be seen when you mow with a wider mower.

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #3  
It's not clear from your post if you want a pull behind finish mower, or a mid-mount (belly) mower. I have a five foot Yanmar YQM-60 universal mid-mount finish mower under my YM240. Supported by the TPH, and driven by the rear PTO. Think something like that might interest you?

//greg//

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #4  
Greg,
You wouldn't happen to have digital photos of the YQM-60 on your YM240 would you? I'd really like to see what it looks like. The only Yanmar OEM mid mount I have seen for the YM240 is the YMM-60. The YMM-60 is run by a big belt around a large pulley on the PTO. The belt runs up between the rear wheels to power the deck (its a left discharge).

Post some photos if you have them!

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #5  
From what I have gathered, Yanmar has three groups of finish mowers in this category;
YRM (rear mount)
YMM (mid mount)
YQM (quick mount)
It's always been my understanding that the YRM is a simple pull behind finish mower, and that that YMM was a mid-pto driven belly mower. But from your description, it sounds more like the YMM is just a YQM without quick detach features. It takes me about 5 minutes to drop my YQM, and about 20 minutes to remount it (10 if I have a helper).

I'd be happy to email photos, but I don't advise revealing your address here on the public forum. A safe alternative is to use the site Instant Messenger feature to let me know how to contact you via email.

//greg//

/ Finish mower for a 1500
Thanks for all the help. My lawn is in very good shape...just put in a year ago! It is relatively flat. I have a small riding mower with a 46" deck and have no scalping problems. I do not thin that the 5 foot version would cause a scalping problem as long as the tractor will power it.
I was originally thinking about an after-market mower (landpride, befco, wood, etc) but would be interested in a Yanmar if available..especially if I could get a mid mount. I do not have a mid PTO on my 1500 though. Does the YQM or YMM run off the rear pto by some directional change pulley system? Or does anyone know where to get a mid-mount mower and a mid PTO set-up...likely too much money for the result though-maybe just a rear pto 3pt mower would be my best bet. I would love to see a photo of one of your guys set-up also.

Thanks
Peter

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #7  
You are not going to be able to find a mid mount PTO kit for a 1500. I think it is Greg Birky that put a belly mower on a grey market by adding a front PTO via a clutch on the front crank of his Yanmar. I have seen aftermarket belly mowers that run off of the rear PTO. If you plan on doing much with the tractor other than mowing, do yourself a favor and use a rear mount finish mower. I had a little Bolens diesel that had a belly mower. I used the tractor for other things and after one summer of pulling the mower and putting the mower on constantly I was fed up. Now the new mowers like those on Deere and Kubota go on and off quickly, but if you get one of those that run off of the rear PTO and has a belt that you have to fool with, you will wish you had a mower on the 3 point hitch.

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #8  
Click my user name, then scroll down a bit till you see a line that says Send a Private Message. You can use that to send me your email address safely. Once I know where to send them, I'd be more than happy to email photos to you of the YQM-60 installed under my YM240.

//greg//

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #9  
I respectfully disagree Brent. I have both; rear mount and quick detach. Mowing long straight unobstructed lines is one thing, but yardwork is another. With the rear mount I'm constantly side saddle in the **** seat, trying to watch where I'm going at the same time I'm making sure the mower doesn't bounce off (or run over) something. With the midmount, it's just like a huge riding lawn mower. I sit straight in the seat, looking either in the direction of travel - or down at the edges of the deck as I steer around objects. I can trim within an inch of trees/shrub/et cetera with the midmount, but leave a good half foot with the rear mount. In short, I think the midmount is safer and does a better job mowing up close.

I can see where the YMM may be a pain to mount and dismount, but I can drop my YQM in 5 minutes, and remount it in 20 (10 if I have a helper).

And by the way, the YQM does use the TPH and rear PTO.

//greg//

/ Finish mower for a 1500 #10  
If you will look I mentioned that some of the mowers were quick mount and those aren't that much of a hassle. As for getting close, I could get within and inch of trees and such with my 5ft and then 6ft mower. After you use one for a while it almost becomes instinctive as to where the mower is at and how close you are to obstacles. I mowed with one for 3 years. My point about using a rear mower was if you use the tractor to do other things the rear is quicker on/quicker off. I have since gotten tired of mounting a three point mower because I use my tractor for other things more I do mowing so I have a dedicated lawn mower now. ZTR's, I love them.