Fx 335 Injection pump help

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help #1  

TDP

Tractor
Yanmar Fx 335
I have Fx335 4x4 tractor. It has lots of black smoke mainly while under fairly heavy load. You can press the gas pedal wide open and huge amounts of black smoke come out with no load. It seems to smoke a little less after the tractor reaches normal operating temperature. I spent $5000 for engine overhaul and something is not right. Does anyone have manual that would help me see if the timing is set correct? Engine # 4TNA78-RN. Its supposed to have new injectors,pistons,sleeves, and the head was sent to another shop. Its got about 400hrs on the rebuild. I even tried synthetic oil but didnt help. Does anyone have any ideas?

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help #2  
Need a list of things you have done to correct.

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help
Need a list of things you have done to correct.

Im lost for words. I wasn't expecting that. LOL. I took it to a tractor shop and had them overhaul it. They didnt have a manual for this tractor and said they put the pump back on like it originally was. I took it back to them 2 or 3 different times. I have an old thread about this. Anyway I just gave up and decided to let it smoke thinking it may clear up. Im not a diesel mechanic but mechanicaly inclined. I feel like I might be able to fix it if I knew what to do. I have the right parts manual for it but thats all. Im just afraid something is going to fail if I dont get it right. Way to much black smoke- my brother has a tractor and it doesnt smoke like this thing does. Anyway Ive been thinking for days how to get a book for this tractor and have spent hrs looking. My wife has a little friend from overseas and Im going to find out if she can get a manual in Japanese. Then Im going to scan it all and convert it to English. Thats my newest plan and it probably wont work either but Ill try.

So to answer your question I havent done nothing except keep airfilter clean,fuel filter,and oil/filter. There has to be someone in this world that has this same tractor and knows more than I do. :confused2:

Normde2001, My reading and comprehension is lacking today! I havent done anything to correct the issue. I suspect timing is off and would like to start there. I dont know how to do it though.

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help #5  
The only timing is how many shims are used to install the fuel pump. There should be a timing mark on the crank shaaft pulley for TDC and 1 just before it for pump timing. You need to unhook #1, rear, injector line, fuel on and wide open, crank by hand and see that fuel squirts just as the mark crosses the pointer. Have you bled the fuel lines? Why did you have it overhauled?

Hi Normde2001, I had it overhauled because the shop said it needed it. Loose nut on air filter and it eat a lot of dirt.I have pulled injectors and pump off and sent them to Pro Mac Diesel to be checked and repaired. Im going to take some pictures and post when I reassemble. My pump doesnt have shims. Its held on with 3 nuts and pump holes are slotted. I have bled fuel lines. You would think if you paid someone $5,000 to rebuild a little 4 cylinder engine it would come back good as new. Im regretting it everyday and if I would've had a manual at the time I would have done it myself. I will never even break even on this one so ill just have to keep it. My persistence paid off and I did find a shop manual. SO i feel comfortable it will run again. Ill post the outcome soon. I also want to thank someone on here for coming out to help me. I dont like to give out names without permission but he knows who he is. I can never thank you enough!!!!

I got my tractor put back together and couldn't be more happier. My friend came over and helped me. I can never thank you enough!! I took injectors and pump to Pro Mac Diesel in Longview, Texas (903)-759-2900. His address is 306 Enterprise St. I'm very pleased with Mark and very knowledgeable. I think he said he has been doing this for 35yrs. His prices are very reasonable and It didn't break the bank this time. If you ever need injector/pump work I highly recommend him.

What I did was pulled the plate off so I could access pump gear. There are letters stamped on the gears. Just keep turning the engine until letters lign up with letter stamped on pump pulley. You may have to turn engine over several times but letters on gears will eventually match up. Make a mark on pump before you pull it so you wont have to retime pump.Then I used harmonic balance puller to pull gear off of pump. Unhook everything else from pump and slide it out. I had to remove oil filter to remove my pump. When you get pump back lign shaft up with key way. Set pump so it matches mark you made before pulling pump and tighten it down. This way if it was timed right to start with you should be good to go.

My pump was in pretty good shape. Mark said he made slight adjustment to one cylinder on my pump. Said it wasn't bad enough to cause all of the black smoke my engine was producing. 2 of the 4 injectors I had were sticking. He cleaned them all and set to correct pressure.

After all of this I wonder why the shop I paid $5000 to rebuild my engine couldn't figure this out after carrying it back 3 times for same problem? I'm just a shade tree mechanic but was able to fix it. My friend was a pro at helping me set pump timing. I didn't take any pictures but you should easily see the letters stamped on the gears. Its not hard to do at all. Take your time and you can easily do this yourself avoiding expensive shop prices. I hope this helps someone and take away any fears you may have.

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help #8  
Glad you're up and running, and it all worked out for you :thumbsup:

I am to Mr Kenmac. I want to say thank-you to everyone on here! This is a great site and Ive met some really great people on here. I have one other problem. Im not really worried about it yet but its annoying. When tractor is in mid range and 3rd or 4th gear it sounds like noise coming from transmission. Its hard to explain the noise Im hearing. Ticking--clacking noise. Its more noticeable when tractor is pulling up a hill. If you go down hill it seems to be less noise. It doesn't do it at all in first gear. My tractor has power shift or shift on the go. It sounds to me like it coming from rear part of tractor. Ive pressed the pedal that locks tires and its working like it supposed to. Ive pulled up on it thinking it may be sticking causing noise. There is no slack in axles. Has anyone had similar problem or suggestions?

/ Fx 335 Injection pump help #10  
is your fluid full? is it right kind? has it always made this noise?