186D delay relief valve rusted in place

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #1  

Yanmar CC

Tractor
Kubota B2601 & a for sale JD 265 mower
I have been troubleshooting my problem shifting (trouble getting powershift to engage), have done all the easy stuff and have moved on to the delay relief valve. When I pulled the cover plate there was no o-ring seal behind the plate, not surprisingly I found rust behind the plate and when I went to pull the DRV sleeve out I found it is rusted in place.

Has anyone run into this before, if so, how did you get it free? I have tried a few squirts of PB Blaster and mild tapping to try and break it free but don't want to break something while trying to fix it. I currently have a small folded up piece of shop towel soaked in PB Blaster being held in place by the cover plate.

One thing comes to mind, can I just use a jam nut against the sleeve and try to spin the sleeve in place to break it free? I can't see very clearly in my service manual if there is anything indexed in side there that spinning the sleeve would break or bend.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #2  
I don't have an answer, but rather some related questions: I've always wondered how the shift delay works. Also, there seems to be a circuit that leaves a brake applied internally until the transmission has warmed up. Can anyone explain how these work?

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #3  
I have been troubleshooting my problem shifting (trouble getting powershift to engage), have done all the easy stuff and have moved on to the delay relief valve. When I pulled the cover plate there was no o-ring seal behind the plate, not surprisingly I found rust behind the plate and when I went to pull the DRV sleeve out I found it is rusted in place.

Has anyone run into this before, if so, how did you get it free? I have tried a few squirts of PB Blaster and mild tapping to try and break it free but don't want to break something while trying to fix it. I currently have a small folded up piece of shop towel soaked in PB Blaster being held in place by the cover plate.

One thing comes to mind, can I just use a jam nut against the sleeve and try to spin the sleeve in place to break it free? I can't see very clearly in my service manual if there is anything indexed in side there that spinning the sleeve would break or bend.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

On my ym336d the valve had threads in the hole in the valve and you put a bolt in the threaded hole which gives you something to grab hold of. I used a large set of pliers and lightly tapped on them with a hammer. The valve has an oring on it to seal the bore.

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #4  
Just looking at the parts drawing it would seem the main relief valve is just on the opposite side of the cover. I don't suppose they share the same cavity and could be tapped out from the other side. Probably not. :confused3:

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place
On my ym336d the valve had threads in the hole in the valve and you put a bolt in the threaded hole which gives you something to grab hold of. I used a large set of pliers and lightly tapped on them with a hammer. The valve has an oring on it to seal the bore.

Mine has the same threaded hole. I scraped away most of the corrosion using a dental pick and tried tapping on a small wrench slipped behind the bolt head, also tried using a long flat head screwdriver to pry/push the wrench away from the housing to see if I could get the sleeve to even budge, but no luck...

I think it may be a matter of a crusted over o-ring that is just stuck in there and I am going to have to figure out a way to fab up a puller to be able to pull directly on the axis of the sleeve.

Just out of curiousity, when you took the cover plate off of yours, did you have any corrosion in there? I think once I get it to come out, on reassembly I will put a heavy coat of grease on the back side of the sleeve before I put the cover plate back on and hopefully prevent this from happening in the future.

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #6  
Yes there was quite a bit of corrosion. You might take small piece of flat steel and bore three holes large enough to slide over the bolt your screwing into the valve the use two threaded bolts w/nuts to pull it. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Yes there was quite a bit of corrosion. You might take small piece of flat steel and bore three holes large enough to slide over the bolt your screwing into the valve the use two threaded bolts w/nuts to pull it. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

I understand what you're saying perfectly because that's exactly what I was planning on doing...a homemade puller. Now I just have to go hunt down a couple of M6 screws to use...

Okay, so if anyone else runs into this, I was able to use a stick of 3/8x3/4 aluminum with a 1/4" hole drilled in it and set up the stick to span the two cover bolt heads (to offset it from the face of the block) with the drilled hole centerer over the tapped hole in the sleeve. Put a long M6-1 screw with a nut on it through the hole in the bar and thread into the sleeve. Holding the head of the screw stationary use the nut to pull on the sleeve and with a couple of turns it's out...

Soooo...now I've got everything out but the main relief valve. Everything I could get out looked ok, no noticeable wear on parts or anything clogged.

Now I'm going to have to figure out a way to pull the main relief valve out of there and see if it's gunked up, not sure if I can just reach in there and try to grab it with some long needle nose pliers or what. Any suggestions on how to get it out of there? Should it be removed with the valve block still on the tractor, or should I just go ahead and remove the entire block?

/ 186D delay relief valve rusted in place #9  
Manual for the 226 indicates the valve should come out with the sleeve. I think the valve has a machined groove in it. Wonder if you could use a hook something like one of these to get in that groove and maybe pull it out. :confused3: 7 Piece Pick and Hook Set

Ahh, maybe I am missing something, is there another diamond shaped cover on the front of the shift valve block that will allow me to pull out the main relief valve from the opposite side of the delay valve? From the service manual, it looks like it all has to come out from the back side?