Adding oil pressure alarm.

/ Adding oil pressure alarm. #1  

Pete Judd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186d, JD 314
I just picked up a Onan 15KW Pto generator for 80 bucks at a yard sale. But the thought of letting the tractor run like a stationary engine for a few hours without anybody sitting on the seat to see the idiot lights kind of scares me. I have oil and temp alarms on the boat diesel where the gauges are not in direct sight of the helm, and the over temp saved my butt once. Auto shutdown is not a simple thing on one of these simple tractors. Looking for advise.

/ Adding oil pressure alarm. #2  
I advise a bigger tractor. You need 30 pto hp to run a 15kw gen, not 15.

/ Adding oil pressure alarm. #3  
After reading the data spec sheet on that Cummins Onan PTO 15Kw gen, your tractor should run it just fine if your PTO is a multi-speed like most Yanmars are. The unit requires 1500 rotations per minute input to drive it. That's about 25 per second for the single phase. Did you get the 50 or 60 Hz unti?

The unit isn't the normal PTO tractor driven device I typically see at tractor supply.
Cummins Protec PTO Series Commercial YD 15 Mobile Alternator Protec PTO

/ Adding oil pressure alarm.
The generator has a gearbox to accept 540 on the PTO. It is a 60 Hz unit. I don't plan on running it anywhere close to full load. Just the well pump, lights, pellet stove, and electronics during power outages, as well as for power tools to far from the house to use cords.

/ Adding oil pressure alarm. #5  
i think you are greatly ignoring the laws of physics.

the other poster was saying that to run 15kw full load. you will liekly want about 30hp. sure the actualy hp to watt conversion is way less. but by the time you go from paper to pto.. it's a general rule of thumb of about 2hp per KW.

you can of course use the full hp of the tractor and just produce less KW than the unit is capable of.

After reading the data spec sheet on that Cummins Onan PTO 15Kw gen, your tractor should run it just fine if your PTO is a multi-speed like most Yanmars are. The unit requires 1500 rotations per minute input to drive it. That's about 25 per second for the single phase. Did you get the 50 or 60 Hz unti?

The unit isn't the normal PTO tractor driven device I typically see at tractor supply.
Cummins Protec PTO Series Commercial YD 15 Mobile Alternator Protec PTO

/ Adding oil pressure alarm. #6  
To the op.

get a murphy switch gauge for the oil pressure.. the switch gauges are normally usesd to kill a power line to ignition or a fuel off solenoid.. since you have neigher, then you could instead rig up a relay to have the switchgauge run a buzzer..