YM240 New Owner

/ YM240 New Owner #1  

jb92563

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 240, 4' Box Blade, FEL, Rice & Turf tires
I've been having fun with my YM240, that a got a few weeks ago, learning how to drive it and use the FEL for various tasks. Trial and error, plus tips from this forum guide me.

I solved the starting issue with a new battery and I use a visor sized solar charger from Harbor Freight to keep it topped up.
My original battery was reading 12.x volts but did not have enough ooomph to get the engine spinning with the Decompression venting, so just because its reading
12 volts does not mean its a good battery.
I dont know if my alternator is charging as I can see someone cut some wires that go from the alternator to the starter and presumably the battery.

I need to redo all the electrical as none of the stuff going to the dash works and the wire junction/fuse area is a mess. underpanel.jpg

I take out the weeds by driving in reverse and dragging the bucket, tilted at ~45-90 degrees and vary the wrist angle to smooth or dig more.

My YM240 needs a bit more maintenance to solve the Hydraulic Loader leaks.

Theres a hole in a bucket hose by the controls that shoots oil right on the hot muffler so I wrapped the leaky hose to keep the squirting subdued
till I get a new hose. Walmart had a decent priced 5 gal bucket of JD303 Hydraulic oil that I use top up the tractor now and then due to leaky hoses and cylinder seals.

I also can't seem to get the diffs to lock.

I pushed down the diff lock lever while in neutral but it does not seem to be engaging the lock in forward or reverse.
Is there an easy fix for this or will I have to tear into the transmission to figure out whats going on?

I really would like the diffs to lock to help tractoring in my occasionally loose sand beach.
I am working my backyard beach and sometimes the sand gets loose and I loose traction.
Nearly got stuck a few times.

I'm wondering whats the best way to pack the sand down so it stays firm or perhaps I need wider floaty tires in the back to keep from getting stuck.

I do have some big fat turf tires that also came with the tractor. Maybe I should give those a try in the sand, but the treads don't look like they would offer much added traction.

I have been debating with myself over what type of implement to use to groom the beach and remove weeds.
I'm leaning towards a drag harrow (Chain link fence type with spikes on one side)

Can anyone comment on how effective it might be in a sandy soil scenario with weeds cropping up in patches.

/ YM240 New Owner #2  
Note #51 and #60 in this parts drawing. When you mash your differential lock you are pushing #60 against #51. If in neutral and the cogs are not lined up it will not engage. Just gently mash the pedal while moving, once the cogs line up #60 will jump into #51. When done using just release the pedal and they will disengage when no longer in a bind. Yanmar Tractor Parts: TRANSMISSION_INTERNAL

/ YM240 New Owner #3  
Note #51 and #60 in this parts drawing. When you mash your differential lock you are pushing #60 against #51. If in neutral and the cogs are not lined up it will not engage. Just gently mash the pedal while moving, once the cogs line up #60 will jump into #51. When done using just release the pedal and they will disengage when no longer in a bind. Yanmar Tractor Parts: TRANSMISSION_INTERNAL

/ YM240 New Owner
Thanks Winston, makes more sense now why nothing engages when I tried from neutral.

A day ago I came across a 48" box scraper on craigs list. Picked it up tonight and brought it home on a trailer ($260). Looks good and the perfect size as folks here suggested. I might get a chance to try it out this weekend. Its missing the scarifier teeth so I may try to find some or make my own.

It also has a hinged flap on the rear side. More stuff to learn how to use. The extra rear weight ought to help with traction too.

/ YM240 New Owner
Here are some pics of the 4' Box Scraper. The guy called it a Gannon but I don't know the difference, perhaps its the brand?

20141023_190830.jpg20141023_190842.jpg20141023_190858.jpg

/ YM240 New Owner #8  
I think Gannon is manufactured by Woods. I have a 54" Gannon rotating box blade. Rotates 3 different positions, forward, backwards and scarfiers.

Attachments

• 100_3231.jpg
    100_3231.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 161
   / YM240 New Owner #9  
ouch the teeth and pins will cost you another $80-100 i guess!!! Why do people take those out? You can pin them in upside down if you dont want to use them??? That way you dont loose them!

/ YM240 New Owner #10  
The YM240 won't pull it with scarrifier teeth in the ground, unless soil is already tilled.