Solved my Cooling problem....Kind of.

/ Solved my Cooling problem....Kind of. #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Its actually kind of funny and sad. Everyone talks about the temp of their tractor engine. This made me install a temp gauge and it rarely got above 140 degrees. I thought that since I installed a temp probe in the upper radiator hose that it just read low...

So today - although cold outside, I ran the tractor non stop for 4 hours hauling firewood. I figured while it was warm to change the oil. I drained the oil and on a whim stuck my finger in the oil as it poured out of the pan. It was luke warm....HUH???

4 hours of running and only like warm? So I finished the oil change and installed a new oil filter and new Rotella 5W 40 Synthetic. Then I drained some coolant off and decided to check the thermostat. What thermostat? there isn't one which explains why this tractor runs so cool.

So problem solved but now I need a gasket and a thermostat. Any chance anyone knows of one that I can pick up locally either at a deere dealer or a auto parts store so I dont have to wait for a shipment from hoye?

/ Solved my Cooling problem....Kind of. #2  
If nobody comes up with a specific part # you can buy locally:

Yanmar used some off-the-shelf parts that were also used on Datsuns from the same era. Maybe just measure the space where it fits and put in an inexpensive generic replacement.

Or follow the example of Yanmars earlier than your model, which didn't have a thermostat. A cold weather solution to warm up those is cardboard in front of the radiator.

/ Solved my Cooling problem....Kind of. #3  
Might be able to cross reference the part number. 129350-49800. It is a 71 degree centigrade, 160F.

/ Solved my Cooling problem....Kind of.
Thank you all. While I had the tractor apart I was trying to find a local resource for the thermostat and the gasket but I didn't have any luck. I called Napa and they couldn't cross reference the part numbers that I had picked up from Fredericks and Hoye. So I just made myself a cork gasket and put it all back together and will place an from Hoye or Fredericksburg this week and tackle it next weekend.