YM 1700?

/ YM 1700? #12  
Other than the water pump, the YM1700 uses the same parts book as the YM2000. I was told the 8N had 18hp on it's best day. The 1700 should top that.

/ YM 1700? #13  
If it has more HP than an 'N'.. then you need to upgrade to a 5' rotary cutter. We 'N' owners run 5' hogs with no problems.

Soundguy

/ YM 1700? #14  
Though info sources differ slightly, the 8n has about 27.x hp at the engine... that translates to somewhere around 23-24 hp on the pto... mind you this assumes good engine, etc. Earlier N's had a slightly lower compression ratio.. and a hp or two less possibly.

Draft control on the hyds also give the N an edge when using draft dependent loads. I've seen N's out plow larger /more hp JD's that only had straight hyds.. etc.

From the service manual.. which I believe are the nebraska test results..

9n/2n/early 8n comp ratio 6:1
late 8n 6.5:1
belt pulley power 9/2N 23.6hp
8n 27.3hp
drawbar hp 9n/2n 16.3*
8N 23.2

* I've heard that the lowdrawbar hp rating on the 9n/2n from the nebraska test is due to the method in which they tested the 9n/2n.. I.e. low idle, high gear.. etc. Obviously the 8n which is virtually identical engine ( N's engines are interchangeable...) scored much higher, on the same test, a few years later..

Also, in tractor pulls, the N's do fairly well on percentages. I just got done reading a magazine on tractor pulls.. and the N's usually pull 115% to 125%.. which is great with their hp/weight

Soundguy

/ YM 1700?
Thanks to all of you for the counsel...esp Soundguy who I've been acquainted with for several years on the "N" Forums and sent me lots of good info on email direct. I went with the 1700 and got a good price...now I hope she "looks" as good mechanically as she does cosmetically. I'm sure you'll hear from me again with questions. Steve

/ YM 1700? #16  
Reed, there is a lot more difference than just the water pump between the YM1700 and the YM2000, especially engine parts and gears. There is also a lot of difference between the red and green Yanmars.
Danny
Parker Equipment Co

/ YM 1700? #17  
All I have to go on is the manual I have that says it is for both. I had a YM1700 engine rebuilt and ordered the parts from the manual I have and they all fit. I am sure you have more experience than that.

/ YM 1700? #18  
A lot of the parts are the same and a lot are not the same, a few of the parts that are not the same are, pistons, piston rings, head gasket, cylinder liners, piston pins, injector pump, pre-combustion chambers ( front and rear ) and so on. we rebuild YM1700's and YM2000's almost everyday, some of the parts interchange and some do not.
Danny
Parker Equipment Co

/ YM 1700? #19  
Soundguy, I have owned 2 8Ns (one with fresh engine). I am not sure about their HP ratings. However, when I would cut the front acre of thick burmuda grass in my yard, the Ns would bog and I would have to down shift. I put a clutch in my neighbors YM2000. When I finished, I hooked up my 5' Woods finish mower and cut my grass. I was able to run faster with no bogging. I liked that tractor so much I made him an offer and bought it. I now sell Yanmars and use a YM1700B with a 6' Sitrex finish mower. It does not bog. Power-wise, I believe the YM2000 would run a 5' B hog better than an 8N. Due to the weight ratio and narrow stance of the 2000, I think it could be a safety hazard so I sell the 2000 with a 4' B hog. Just my experience.

MAH

/ YM 1700? #20  
For what it's worth.. my comparison was on a ym1700 to a 8n.. not a ym2000 to an 8n. For all the similarities of the 1700 to the 2000.. the 2000 is still a bit more machine.

I didn't claim the 8n was the 'be-all - get all' machine. It has advantages and disadvantages.. one advantage is weight. Lots of people used to hay with an N. It is marginal on the HP.. but had just enough weight to keep the bailer from throwing the machine around. Take that ym1700 or 2000 at nearly 1000# less, and my guess is you just would not be able to hay with it safely... the bailer would throw the machine around too much. The N will also accell at Plowing or other draft dependent chores. The auto draft adjusting system will yeild better controll of the implement than straight position control.

The diesels benefit from low end lugging power, and the lack of an energised ignition system.

The HP ratings I quoted were the nebraska tests.

As far as cutting grass.. I've had finish mowers provide a higher demand than rotary cutters, and thick grass is about the toughest stuff to cut as it is.

Not saying your wrong.. but between my 8n and my 1700.. my 8n is capable of more work. and it isn't all about hp. My 8n can pick up and tote an 800# disc .... while my 1700 hyds can lift the 800#, the front wheels point up off the ground when i try to lift that same disc.

The ym has better gear choices with the high & low range selector... the 8n, as all of the N's are.. is geared too high in my opinion...

Lastly.. keep in mind that you are compairing a 65-52 year old tractor to a 27-25 year old tractor....The engineers building the 1700 probably weren't born yet when the first N rolled off the production line...

( no put downs either way.. I own both, and love all tractors )

Soundguy