YM 1700?

/ YM 1700? #1  

Dingbat

Tractor
YM 1700
New guy here, both to the forum and this category of tractors. (My Ford N Series drowned during Isabel so I'm an "N" guy in search of a tractor). A local store is selling a Yanmar Ym1700; an Iseki TS1610 or a Hinomoto E182 for around $2900. They look like new! But beauty is only skin deep so I'm leary. They come with a 90 day warranty. These seem like a good deal but then I know I can get a reconditioned N series for about that and not have a parts hassle....I know, the N's are older. Need something for about 8 acres; very flat (NC Outer Banks); mostly finish mowing with a little blading, raking, scooping...and maybe some light bush hogging. It seems the Yanmar or Iseki have the biggest fans? Is the price right? Any ideas on which one? Thanks much. Steve

/ YM 1700? #2  
Dingbat,
Just make sure they are not the Vietnamese reconditioned ones. The YM 1700 is a workhorse, and for $2900, it MAY be a god deal. YM1700 parts are not that hard to get.
Of course all this is my opinion and experience, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

/ YM 1700?
Thanks Jerry! Is there a way to tell if it's a VN job? I gather the rebuilds there are not up to par. Cosmetically they look brandnew but that doesn't mean much if they die after the 90 days. Steve

/ YM 1700? #4  
The price seems about right for those, however if you are planning on using the same implements as with the Ford N, be aware that the N was about 1,000# heavier and 10 more hp than at least the YM 1700.

/ YM 1700? #6  
I know that some of the low end Asian compacts don't even HAVE a water pump and/or thermostat, which might account for your "biggest fans" observation

//greg//

/ YM 1700? #7  
Greg,
To my knowledge, none of the Japanese gray market tractors have thermostats. As for water pumps, I know that the following Yanmars do not have them:
YM1100
YM1110
YM1300
YM1500
YM1700
Cannot speak for the Iseki's and Hinomoto's.

/ YM 1700? #8  
"which might account for your "biggest fans" observation"

I suspect he was referring to "big fans of the tractor". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ YM 1700? #10  
I made the switch from a nice 1952 8N to a YM2000. The 2000 is much better it has more PTO HP, live lift, is easier to steer and has a water pump. I run a 4" rotary cutter, 5" box blade, 6" finish mower, post hole digger. I use suitcase weights on the front bumper for some jobs. It probably has the best parts supply of any grey Yanmar.