Oil & Fuel Do I need to pull the head?

/ Do I need to pull the head? #12  
Based the compression by the amount of air movement through the engine and the force it was exploding out with.

This is my first diesel but not my first rodeo, I have rebuilt several engines, from 1 lung 2 stroke dirt bikes to big block fords. I rarely pay mechanics (except for the computer crap), but I always do plenty of research (except when I get excited and crank the engine to soon... DOH!), before tearing into a project so I'm really comfortable when I do dive in.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions regarding my tractor. After I recover from hernia surgery, I will include the top end gaskets with my injector order and pull the head, as that seems like the prudent move. The previous owner (my brother-in-law) didn't pull the injectors, his ex-girlfriends dumb assed brother did & nobody knows why, so better to spend a little extra than cause more damage.

Parts in Canada for this model seem to be hard to come by, they want $600 plus shipping for the 2 injectors (no hold downs) vs $81/ea from Hoye. Fortunately, my father lives in Wa State, so I can ship parts to him and pick them up during visits.

Question for Winston1, how do I check compression on a diesel?

Call Hoye, i bet they will ship to Canada if you ask. there actually real people down there and really nice too. I wanted some fuses but didnt want to spend $14 to ship it. I asked if they could just charge me like a dollar or two and put them in an envelope and they did!!!

They make deisel compression testers.

/ Do I need to pull the head? #13  
As Winston pointed out, you need Hoye's Adapter - or some sort of dummy injector, probably made from a junk injector - because these tractors don't have glow plugs and the only opening into the cylinder is the injector hole.

/ Do I need to pull the head?
Clemsonfor, yes, they will ship to Canada, but the tax and duty on 2 $84 injectors will push them to almost $500 CDN, so if I order a bunch of parts it's cheaper to drive down, visit my kid and pick them up or have my son bring them up and ship them from this side of the border.

California, I have decided to pull the head and check the cylinder and clean everything up properly to make sure I don't have a worse problem down the road.

Thanks for your help with this folks.

/ Do I need to pull the head? #15  
:eek:

Thats crazy!!!! What the heck is the tax up there. And what is a Duty FEE ??? It must be astronomical!!! Yall dont want any trande with the US i guess!!!
Clemsonfor, yes, they will ship to Canada, but the tax and duty on 2 $84 injectors will push them to almost $500 CDN, so if I order a bunch of parts it's cheaper to drive down, visit my kid and pick them up or have my son bring them up and ship them from this side of the border.

California, I have decided to pull the head and check the cylinder and clean everything up properly to make sure I don't have a worse problem down the road.

Thanks for your help with this folks.

The duty is for importing items instead of buying them up here. Sometimes if the parts cannot be sourced up here, you can get them to waive the duty, but normally they ding you for the taxes (12%) because the govt always wants their money, then if you just have it shipped, they send it through a broker who charges a processing fee (15%) and then customs charges duty, if I have it in hand and bring it up myself, I can get it waived, but it's a 6 hour drive each way to the border, so I'm hooped either way.

/ Do I need to pull the head? #17  
The duty is for importing items instead of buying them up here. Sometimes if the parts cannot be sourced up here, you can get them to waive the duty, but normally they ding you for the taxes (12%) because the govt always wants their money, then if you just have it shipped, they send it through a broker who charges a processing fee (15%) and then customs charges duty, if I have it in hand and bring it up myself, I can get it waived, but it's a 6 hour drive each way to the border, so I'm hooped either way.

I guess I'm a little more fortunate then. I live about an hour and a half from the border and if I plan on doing business in town the day I go then it's only an hour to the border (Sweet Grass MT) from Taber AB. I usually wait until there is at least $700 worth of goods at the border before I go. I have a freight depot (FedEx) there and also a box number. The post office only holds a month but they will send it to FedEx which holds parcels for a year. Usually the customs guys will do my paper work for me. I would say 95% of the time I only get charged GST at 5%. One time clothes were 18% duty and another time I paid 3% duty on an exhaust system. I think your broker is doing the fees wrong as there is no duty on most items manufactured in USA because of the free trade agreement.

I don't mind bringing in goods for people as long as you aren't in a hurry as sometimes it's 6-8 weeks in between trips to the border. Pm me if you want to know all the details. Suffice to say I could probably save you a few dollars since Alberta has no sales tax. If you need it right away a person could reship by bus or freight once it's through the border. I do have a trip planned sometime in early January as the neighbour boys need some quad parts. The parts aren't ordered yet so we have a few days to work things out if your interested. If you pm me your phone number I don't mind calling either.

pmsmechanic, thank you very much for the offer. I ordered the parts yesterday and they are enroute to my son in Oak Harbor Wa. I will keep you in mind or future fun & games. Do you by chance smoke cigars?

/ Do I need to pull the head? #19  
pmsmechanic, thank you very much for the offer. I ordered the parts yesterday and they are enroute to my son in Oak Harbor Wa. I will keep you in mind or future fun & games. Do you by chance smoke cigars?

No problem I just hate seeing our system rip people off.

No I'm one of those guys that doesn't smoke anything!

/ Do I need to pull the head? #20  
so you have to declare this stuff? HOw do they know? If you dive a truck with toolboxes and stuff all in it how do they know that you have say 2 new injectors in your tool box. I mean dont keep them all boxed up and packing slips. Just put the slips in a pile of paper ditch the box at a gas station and put the injectors in with all your other crap!!

no way they could find stuff like that in my truck!!! Wifes car thats another story.

Now if you have a truck load of snowmobile and quad parts and a back seat full of chlothes that would be hard as well.