loose steering

/ loose steering #1  

nazbom

Tractor
YM 2000
I've had my YM 2000 for about six months and love it. Shortly after recieving it the bearings in the steering box got destroyed. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they sent me new bearings and a steering shaft. I replaced the bearings but not the shaft and it works good, however there is about 2 to 3 inches of free play in the steering wheel. It was like that before the bearings went also. I adjusted the screw on the box to no avail. Any suggestions?

P.S. All of you are a wealth of info!

/ loose steering #2  
The last box I messed with had locked up. I tried to put new bearings in with out pulling the arm shaft. When I did it made the lower bearing cock side ways and had loose motion. I finally got a rebuilt box and it was like new again. There are also shims where the steering wheel shaft attaches that could effect loose motion. Now you know all I do about a steering box. I am sure someone will correct me and add much more info later on.

/ loose steering #3  
Your YM2000 may have the same steering box as my YM240, on which there is an adjustment nut. My owner's manual suggests "up to" 2 inches of play in the steering to be considered normal, more than that should be adjusted out. If your 2000 didn't come with a manual, I can copy that section of mine for you

//greg//

/ loose steering
I have the manual which says 2" of play. It is actually more than 2" and I have adjusted the nut to it's fullest. I would like to find a rebuilt or a better steering box. I can operate the tractor fine as it is but it would seem safer to have more responsive steering. Anybody know where to get a box?

/ loose steering #5  
Before you ditch the box, check to see that nothing else in the system is worn, like the steering draglink, and tierod ends, and spindle bushings, wheel bearings, pittman arm connection..etc.

Soundguy

/ loose steering
I've visually inspected the other parts and they seem to be in good working order. When the wheel is turned it will rotate some distence before any gear contact is made. You can see the contact when the pitman arm nudges forward and the rest of the system responds accordingly. I'm pretty sure that when I reassembled the box all tolerances were not kept, even though I tried.

/ loose steering #7  
I got mine for a YM240 from Tom Fredricks. Save your old one,you might need some things off of it. Then you get a considerable core charge back. 256-773-9951
Tell him I sent you. I haven't bought much lately.

/ loose steering #8  
Why do you suppose the dealer sent you a new shaft? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ loose steering
I emailed Fredericks today after searching the web for a good while, snow day! I will be sure to let him know I got your recommendation. Anyway no reply as of yet. I don't know why the dealer sent me a new shaft. He also sent me a free manual and a free overrunning coupler and didn't charge me for the bearings or the shaft. I have to admit the dealer was on top of the game. Overnighted it too, but he has no complete assemblies. On a different note I have been reading this forum since at least June '03 and have compiled a note book of information. I appreciate the help.

/ loose steering #10  
Sounds like your dealer should get an " ataboy". Tell us his name.