Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    YM 2000

Default loose steering

I've had my YM 2000 for about six months and love it. Shortly after recieving it the bearings in the steering box got destroyed. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they sent me new bearings and a steering shaft. I replaced the bearings but not the shaft and it works good, however there is about 2 to 3 inches of free play in the steering wheel. It was like that before the bearings went also. I adjusted the screw on the box to no avail. Any suggestions?

P.S. All of you are a wealth of info!

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

Default Re: loose steering

The last box I messed with had locked up. I tried to put new bearings in with out pulling the arm shaft. When I did it made the lower bearing cock side ways and had loose motion. I finally got a rebuilt box and it was like new again. There are also shims where the steering wheel shaft attaches that could effect loose motion. Now you know all I do about a steering box. I am sure someone will correct me and add much more info later on.

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Your YM2000 may have the same steering box as my YM240, on which there is an adjustment nut. My owner's manual suggests "up to" 2 inches of play in the steering to be considered normal, more than that should be adjusted out. If your 2000 didn't come with a manual, I can copy that section of mine for you

//greg//

Tractor
    YM 2000

I have the manual which says 2" of play. It is actually more than 2" and I have adjusted the nut to it's fullest. I would like to find a rebuilt or a better steering box. I can operate the tractor fine as it is but it would seem safer to have more responsive steering. Anybody know where to get a box?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Before you ditch the box, check to see that nothing else in the system is worn, like the steering draglink, and tierod ends, and spindle bushings, wheel bearings, pittman arm connection..etc.

Soundguy

Tractor
    YM 2000

I've visually inspected the other parts and they seem to be in good working order. When the wheel is turned it will rotate some distence before any gear contact is made. You can see the contact when the pitman arm nudges forward and the rest of the system responds accordingly. I'm pretty sure that when I reassembled the box all tolerances were not kept, even though I tried.

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

I got mine for a YM240 from Tom Fredricks. Save your old one,you might need some things off of it. Then you get a considerable core charge back. 256-773-9951
    Tell him I sent you. I haven't bought much lately.

Elite Member

Why do you suppose the dealer sent you a new shaft? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tractor
    YM 2000

I emailed Fredericks today after searching the web for a good while, snow day! I will be sure to let him know I got your recommendation. Anyway no reply as of yet. I don't know why the dealer sent me a new shaft. He also sent me a free manual and a free overrunning coupler and didn't charge me for the bearings or the shaft. I have to admit the dealer was on top of the game. Overnighted it too, but he has no complete assemblies. On a different note I have been reading this forum since at least June '03 and have compiled a note book of information. I appreciate the help.

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

Sounds like your dealer should get an " ataboy". Tell us his name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast