How many watts can the el cynical system handle?

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #1  

Bluest

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar F14D, DR Wheeled Trimmer
The tile should read "electrical" but I don't know how to edit it!

I need to replace my headlights as they are rusted through, and at the same time add one or two work lights to the rear so I can see what the implement is up to in the dark. I'm going to use LED lamps to keep the power consumption down but I'm still not sure the the skinny little dynamo is up to the job. Could anyone tell me how many watts of lighting it's safe to run on an F14? I don't think there is much else drawing current on such a simple machine.

This is the dynamo I have Yanmar Tractor Parts ALTERNATOR (DYNAMO)

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #2  
LEDs use way less power than the headlamp bulbs we typically use on our Yanmars. The bulbs usually consume 25W for low beam and 35W on high beam. As for the F14 and F14D, the bulb is only one power ... 25W. Yanmar and John Deere p/n 194520-55810 or LB-4520. These bulbs are the very same ones used for ATV 4-wheelers. Also, motor-cross bikes. Thus, don't pay more than $3USD a bulb anyplace. Many of these bulbs were originated via Stanley Bulb Company in Japan. Do not get confused with Stanley Tools.

I tried your Hoye link, but the internet just keeps timing out on that site. Thus, I jumped over to Fredricks. http://www.fredricksimporting.com/yanmar-parts

LB-4520
Head light bulb, 12v, 25/25w F14, F15,
F16, FX26, FX28, FX175,
1602, 1702, 1720, 1802, 1820, 2002
Repl. 194520-55810

Stanley Bulb OE p/n A-3603
Wattage: 25/25W, 25W/25W, 25 Watt Watts
Voltage: 12V, 12 Volt Volts
Design Volts: 13V
Base: Double Contact Flanged PX15d
Average Rated Life: 100/100 Hours
Filament: C-2V/C-2V Dual Filaments
Maximum Overall Length: MOL 1.85"/47mm
Maximum Overall Diameter: MOD .79"/20.1mm
Light Center Length: LCL .79"/20mm
Glass: Clear, T6, T-6
MSCP 36/36

Alternate Part Numbers: 48008, A3603-BP, 48009, Stanley 12V 35/25W

Typical Application: Scooter Headlight, Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, Moped, Recreational Vehicle Bulb
A-3603 12V 25/25W Light Bulb, Replacement Lamp

Everything you would ever want to know about this bulb and then some. LOL 25-25T6PX15DCL12V DONSBULBS - incandescent-motorcycle lamp light bulb lamp - donsbulbs - light bulbs lamps valve valves tube tubes

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #3  
I read somewhere a 15 amp dynamo will provide up to 180 watts.

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #4  
15 amps X 12 volts = 180 watts.
Keep in mind that this is maximum output for this very puny little alternator. Alternators also produce less power when hot, and that 15 amp rating is at a high RPM, which is not stated.

Of course by using LED lamps, you will use much less power than incandescent lamps. Usually by a factor of 5 to 1 or so.

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #5  
My apologies for the possible hijacking....but has anyone found a replacement led bulb for the headlights?

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #6  
More than 60Wt is plenty and 90W at the upmost of lights. A battery tendor for winter use maybe a consideration.

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #7  
Scotty Dive
If I had a # I would change mine to a LED. I replaced a 4155 and then the other went out a few months later. @ 5.49+Tx.and Shipping. When it goes I'll do something. I show you use a 4550 12v.35/25w to my 12v. 25w. And if need be I can easily spin the work lamp.

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle?
I think I'll be looking at less than 50w (probably more like 40w) in total so that should be OK. I already use a battery conditioner (tender) so the battery is fresh every time I user the tractor.

I plan on replacing the complete headlight units with LED work lights of a similar physical size, and adding two rearward facing ones at the back. I can't just fit LED bulbs as my headlight bowls have rusted through.

I'm sure andLED replacement for the headlight bulbs is available if you want one, as it looks like a fairly standard automotive type. Would a combined brake/tail bulb fit? Mine are too old and corroded to make out the code on the bayonet, otherwise I'd have had a look around the 'net.

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle?
Actually, having looked more closely at the lamps available, its going to be more like 80 to 100w for four lamps. Does that give me enough headroom to not worry about the battery draining at lower revs?

/ How many watts can the el cynical system handle? #10  
Bluest - I installed 4 of these (2 x 27W LED Work Flood Square Light 12V 24V Off Road Truck 4x4 Boat SUV Lamp | eBay). 2 are facing forward on my ROPS with another one on the rops facing backward and a 4th on the rear fender. The front two are controlled with a separate switch and the rear set is on its own switch - allowing me to control amperage usage. They are 27 watt led's and I figured they had 2.25 amps at 12V. So when all 4 are running that puts me at 9 amps and a tremendous amount of light. Well within the range of my dynamo. I don't run at night very often - most times its when I am plowing snow at night, but I have yet to have a problem. My factory lights are not that bright and my loader blocks much of their light - so I almost never use them. However, if LED's were available I would fire them up with the work lights...can't have too much light right?