Need Help - F24 Overheating

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #1  

adt2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24
Some of you may have some of the backstory to this problem from my "Where are these fluids coming from?" thread. To recap: My F24 starts and runs fine (and, as of a few days ago, has no more oil leaking out the oil pressure sending switch). However, after less than 10 minutes at normal operating speed, the temperature gauge on the dash is redlined. No smoke from anywhere. The radiator is not spewing water into the overflow tank, but there do seem to be bubbles in the tank (air coming from the clear hose attached just below the radiator cap).

I mistakenly removed the temperature sensor and boiled it, thinking it was the thermostat and I was checking it for proper operation. (Sheepish grin.) It's been reinstalled now. I've removed the two-bolt flange that the top radiator hose is clamped to, but I didn't know what I was looking for (or looking at) and frankly I can't remember seeing a thermostat down in there (on the engine side; I didn't think to look up into the radiator side and see if it was up there).

I am *not* an engine guy, but I can follow directions and am not afraid to get my hands dirty. So far, all I've done is check the fluid in the radiator, and the steps listed above. Short of any advice to the contrary, my next step will likely be to flush the cooling system and then re-check things.

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #2  
Didn't see it until after I logged in!! Look at the last reply Where fluids are coming from. Rent a gauge it will have or even may have Instuctions for you also. Read Radiator Pressure test you can actually make one.
My Internet is mess up bad here's a web site.
How to Perform a Radiator Test - Autos.com

Last edited:
   / Need Help - F24 Overheating #3  
Check the thermostat. It must be removed to flush anyway.

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #4  
Were is the Thermostat on the F24 just to clarify were it's located? Apparently not under the Flangy thingy do hicky.

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #5  
Unless missing, it should be where the upper hose attaches to the engine, either inside or under a housing. Have never seen a F 24, but that's where all tstats are located.

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #6  
Flush Away!!

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #7  
scan0002.jpg

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating #9  
Yup! The Master of the Manuals. Getting a little slow finding this one though.

/ Need Help - F24 Overheating
Bad news: my tractor is missing part numbers 2, 3, & 4 shown in the exploded view above. Other (bad?) news: the radiator cap holds pressure indefinitely, but the radiator itself holds no pressure at all. It leaks air as fast as I can pump it.

Leaving the gauge on the radiator and starting it cold, the pressure slowly climbs to a max of about 12 psi. At redline on the temp gauge, psi was about 7 or 8. It climbed to 12 psi when I backed off the idle speed to let her cool down.

Last edited: