Stuck Brake cam on YM2000

/ Stuck Brake cam on YM2000 #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
has anyone else had this issue. According to Hoye on thier page on how to do brakes this is the common problem, with stuck petals or hanging brakes.

Well i have this problem on my left side of the tractor.

I have it all apart and am trying to get the shaft/cam out and i see that hoye says many times they have to be pressed out. Well i have mine sitting in the neighbors vise right now (still trying to find someone with a press) and its as tight as i can get the thing and it does not appear to have moved. I keep spraying pentrating oil on it and let it sit several hours in the sun yesterday facing up and kept spraying it with penetrating oil. I want to put some heat on it while the pressure is on it as well. I also tried tapping the saft where the shoes sit with a small ball peen hammer while the pressure was on it and nothing.

i am worried if i get it in a press i will have a hard time supporting the cover and worry it will break!!

Anyone got some other ideas?

/ Stuck Brake cam on YM2000 #2  
My YM240 was like that when I bought it, one stuck brake. One of several 'deferred maintenance' (neglect!) items I had to correct before putting the tractor in service.

Penetrating oil and hammering on the shaft eventually got it free. Note there is an o-ring sealing the outer side of the hole so the penetrating oil has to be applied from the inner side.

For one stuck as bad as yours I wonder if a temperature differential might help. Heat the cover assembly in boiling water or even with a propane torch. Then chill the shaft, only, with ice cubes in a washcloth etc. If that won't do it, buy some dry ice.

I think extreme force with a press might crack the cover. Setting it on wood blocks and using nothing heavier than a carpenter's hammer should be within what it can tolerate, but take it easy! As I recall I held my cover in my hand while hammering on the shaft.

The good news: this renovation has now served 11 years without needing to be repeated.

/ Stuck Brake cam on YM2000
I too would think a press would crack the cast iron as its fragile. And with the convex cove you can't so poor t close enough to where the shaft penetrates the cover to keep the breaking force down.

I figured there was an boring on the outside since water has to be kept out. I had it sitting inside up in the sun applying the oil from the inside.

I will try and heat the cover around the shaft with a propane to arch and see if it will pop out with the pressure the vise is applying to it right now.

/ Stuck Brake cam on YM2000 #4  
I've never used it, but electronics techs have some kind of aerosol spray to freeze suspected bad solder joints on a motherboard etc. Radio Shack might stock it. This might be a little expensive but maybe it could be used to chill and shrink the shaft after heating the cover.

that arosol duster if held upside down will spray ice and actually burn your skin as its blowing out ice. maybe it would be similar.

I finally got it. Used heat. And a 4 foot cheater bar on the vise to really tighten it down and took a hammer and started hitting the outside of the cam lever repeatedly and after a dozen pretty good socks with about a 8oz ball peen on it it filially popped. I had to keep useing the cheater pipe to press it out. It was popping as it went along till it filally got past the shoulder.

Last edited:
   / Stuck Brake cam on YM2000 #7  
YAAAAAAA!:thumbsup:

Here are some pics, i still cant see how to add them from my phone so i have to email them and open them on a computer. What a pain the mobile site and app has become on this site.

IMG_20150526_185707_146.jpg

IMG_20150526_185656_440.jpg

IMG_20150526_190700_093.jpg

Here are a few pics i took in the vise so that if someone in the future needs to do this they can see how i supported it. I am going to need to wire wheel the cover and respray the paint as the heat bubbeld it all up as you can see.

Carey what was the cheap off the shelf green you said is a close match? Or does anyone have a "close" color that can be bought in a rattle can?

/ Stuck Brake cam on YM2000 #10  
I bet this may be really close. If you look at the Tiller this is it. Looks close to your refurbished Grn. I picked this paint and the Tiller up at Fredricks. I touched up A few spots and painted the seat arms with it. The Dark Grn. if you look at the 3pt. lift handle is Org. that is closer to what Winston posted IMO.. I'm going to have to pickup a can of that and see just how close.

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Satan Grn..JPG
    Satan Grn..JPG
    718 KB · Views: 120
Last edited: