Tractor Sizing Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes

/ Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes #1  

Yanmar186d

Tractor
Yanmar 186D
Hi i have just purchased a set of front tyres for my yanmar tractor, the tyre size is 6-12 but I noticed that I've been sold a tyre that is 6.00 12, I made a note to the guy and he said its the same tyre but they appear to be a taller tyre, can I run this tyre or will it cause me issues? Thanks for any advice cheers.

/ Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes #2  
Hello fellow Melbournian, How much taller is it? I know with the "D" models you have a very small window for tyre ratio difference. Only use it on soft ground and never on hard surfaces. One of the others will chime in and give you a calculation you can do to see if it is OK.

/ Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes
So going by the link winston has added the 6.00-12 tyre is 2 inches taller than the 6-12,from the centre of the rim to the ground that would make the tyre 1 inch bigger compared to the 6-12 tyre? Is this going to be a problem considering a new tyre has over an inch of lug and when that wears down it loses close to an inch of height from centre of the rim to ground if that makes sense. If I was to use these on the dirt in 4WD will they be ok, I could disengage the 4WD on concrete if it was going to cause an issue.

Also as I'm running a loader I want a 6 ply tyre but 6-12 are 4 ply and seem hard to find in 6 ply.

/ Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes #7  
Hi i have just purchased a set of front tyres for my yanmar tractor, the tyre size is 6-12 but I noticed that I've been sold a tyre that is 6.00 12, I made a note to the guy and he said its the same tyre but they appear to be a taller tyre, can I run this tyre or will it cause me issues? Thanks for any advice cheers.

Think California on this forum has the same situation on one of his 186D's.

/ Yanmar 186D front tyre sizes #8  
Its not acceptable to run a 6:00x12 in place of 6-12.

As Winston said, 6:00x12 has 6 inches larger circumference. At each revolution of the front tires, the front of the tractor tries to move forward 6 inches greater distance than the rear tires move forward. Tire slip - skid - is the only way the tractor can move at all. This mismatch will destroy driveline components.

Particularly with weight in the loader, both the front and back of the tractor have good traction so the stresses are huge.

That said, I'm running that mismatch temporarily on the YM186D that I use all the time - but I never engage the front axle unless the back tires are slipping, or when my safety on sloped ground is more important. I put on some used 6:00x12's until I can get around to buying the proper 6-12's. And I worry about it every minute I use 4x4.

Photo last week, watering new trees. There's so much weight on the rear hitch that the front end is light. 4x4 is needed for safety driving down the slope, and for turning here instead of plowing straight ahead. The water level in the tank is level, for reference.

KIMG0712rWaterOnSlope.jpg

Thanks for your help guys tyres have been returned and the right size sourced.