Buying Advice Advice on rebuilding 1500D front end knuckles

/ Advice on rebuilding 1500D front end knuckles #1  

loving

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D (red)
My 1500D has wobbly front tires, and the the front drive gears "skip" when in 4wd and pushing hard.

So I removed both 'knuckles' (that's what I've heard them called - the pieces from the end of the drive shaft housing, down, then out to the wheel). I took apart the the left one. There is lots of play everywhere. I had feared I would find chipped gears, but they are only slightly worn. But none of the bearings fit well. Especially the bearing on the top of the kingpin that fits up into the top of the knuckle. The kingpin itself was gouged by the roller bearings that ride on it.

So I'm asking for advice: If you had two badly worn knuckles, what would you do? I'm currently getting a quote of all the bearings and seals and maybe the kingpin from hoyletractor. I am also going to take the parts to a local macinist to see if they can "un-gouge" the shafts.

Thanks in advance,
Kent

/ Advice on rebuilding 1500D front end knuckles
red!

/ Advice on rebuilding 1500D front end knuckles #4  
There is so many of you guys come to the site and post a question and don't fill out your profile or bio. We could help so much better if we know where you live. I've had a tractor with similar problems and the trouble was in the center housing where some allen head bolts had come loose. I went to hardware store and bought some new bolts, put them in and the tractors still running a year later. When you used the word skip, I assume you talk about not driving. I wouldn't start replacing gears till I ruled out the other possibilities. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

/ Advice on rebuilding 1500D front end knuckles #5  
I've rebuilt the front outer drive housings on an old style 'green' 1500D. The main difference between new style and old style is that the large double bevel gear that spins on the front kingpin spindle shafts is: a 1-piece gear (w/ two bevels top/bottom) on an 'old style green' 1500D - or - a 2-piece gear top/bottom bevels on a new style 1500D.

I could only find 1 of the old style gears. The other one I paid a guy 10 bucks to weld high tensile 'tips' on the broken off teeth and used a wire EDM & die grinder to cut back to OEM teeth. Couldn't find the kingpin spindle shafts at all. Had to turn the rough edges w/ a lathe and install a high tensile bronze (Concast 660) bushing instead of the needle bearings.

The single bevel gear for the axle (w/ splined I.D.) Was readily available.

I think the bushings worked well and should hold up -assuming you're not running your tractor at 45 MPH!-)

I used .0025" press fit on the O.D. of the busing to I.D. of large gear; and used .002" slip fit (for lube) between the I.D. of the bushing and the kingpin shaft.

Here are some contacts for you:

Paul/Parts Dept.
Homestead Tractor
760-240-1062

LOWE'S TRACTOR COMPANY
812 663 8928

Tullahoma Tractor
931-455-6999

Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractors,inc
815-284-3226

Anna Acker
Southern Global Tractor
Toll-Free: (866) 742-5748

Good luck. Here's a link 1500D to my ruined old parts before I rebuilt the housings and was sending out for quotes.

-One more thing...be sure to buy new seals for the entire outer drive housing(s).

BillyBob