New (to me) YM240D

/ New (to me) YM240D
@California-

Thanks for your latest post. I think I'll start by removing the worst cylinder and seeing if I can rebuild it. I really just want to get this loader to work well enough to move those piles of dirt, knowing full well I won't be filling that giant bucket. Once I convince myself (and wife) this tractor/FEL are worth having around, I'll have more interest, time, money, motivation to rework it. My loader projects (at least near-term) are nearly all material moving - dirt, mulch, gravel, manure, etc.

I'm hopeful I can turn that rear-mount PTO driven pump into some money for redoing the loader components. I have no idea how far I'll get with that but we'll see.

Thankfully my loader valve and 3PT lift-lever are both on the right side of the tractor so it's pretty unlikely that I'd operate both at the same causing damage to the valve. I really like your suggestion of using the front pump to run the loader. I looked over the front pto link you posted above. The only thing that looked similar was the cut-out in my hood. I suppose that gives room to open the hood even when there's a shaft sticking beyond the front bumper. My pump is actually mounted directly below the battery, completely within the footprint of the tractor so there's no interference with the hood. I need to figure out how to connect that to the shaft sticking forward from the engine and then make use of that for the loader.

Regarding the SSQA style, you're certainly right that these are light tractors. My argument is that by removing the bucket for lifting something like your water tank I could pick up an extra 150#. Though the same could probably be done with a pin-on bucket. However, sharing pallet forks, even if I couldn't pick up half what the big machine can lift, would be pretty handy. Sharing some stuff with the bigger machine would be really helpful but I'm not sure that 5' brush hog can be shared. That gave my tractor all it could handle during my test at lunch.

/ New (to me) YM240D #22  
I run a 5ft bush hog on my tractor and its the ym2000 it can run it in all but the medium to thick tall stuff or short thicker stuff. It will and should easily lift that bush hog. the tail wheel not comeing off the ground is from either the height of the lift pins on the bush hog and or your top link adjustment. Thats not a big deal thats just how its set up. And some say the tail wheel should not really be lifted anyhow just let it roll in trasport.

If your implement on back leaks down its just the rear 3pt worn out. The loader has no bearing on the rear. There is a simple vavle that puts fluid into the 3pt hitch cylinder to push a piston that hits the rock shaft that is connected to the lift arms. It only has pressure to go up, gravity pulls it down when the valve is opened. There is an Oring in the vavle that can be replaced and there is a large thick o ring on the piston that is what is worn to cause your 3pt to leak down. I have a write up with pics and directions here on how to do it. I think its title clemsonfor hydraulics rebuild or something. I will link to it in a bit.
Winston also has a similar rebuild on his but its a different model and yours is identical to mine. But his is where i got the idea to just go ahead and do mine.

here you go...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/254837-clemsonfors-hydraulics-rebuild.html?highlight=

Your loader leaking down is probably those worn and leaky cylinders.

/ New (to me) YM240D #23  
Here is the front pto assembly out of the 240 parts manual. woolyacres, I sent you a pm.

Attachments

• 240scan0001.jpg
    240scan0001.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 240scan0002.jpg
    240scan0002.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 72
   / New (to me) YM240D #24  
As per Todd8686 and clemsonfor's suggestion I went ahead and got something heavy on the back. See photo. Best I can figure that rotary cutter weighs more than 500lbs. The tractor did pick it up before running out of throw on the lift. The rear wheel of the brush hog would only ever get a few inches off the ground. I took that cutter for a spin as well and although it worked, my gut feeling is that was a bit much for the tractor. That's a pretty solid 5' cutter. I switched that cutter out for a box blade at lunch and left the 3PT hitch in the raised position. The loader was also left in the 'up' position. I'll check on it later today to see how far things have slipped. I'm sure the FEL will drop because I could actually see it falling just standing there. That's not hard to believe given the state of the lift arms.

I've got a lot to learn about hydraulics but my guess is that the hydro pump that currently runs the 3PT hitch and FEL is working. Will trouble with the loader cylinders cause the rear to drop as well?

Comparing apples to oranges but,

I have a Woods Dixiecutter M5 that looks very similar to your cutter. It is a pretty heavy cutter. I am sorry i do not have a pic. My YM2001 has no problem picking it up. The YM2001 is tough to find specs on so I do not know what it's lifting capacity is. You should be able to adjust the lift by adjusting the top link.

/ New (to me) YM240D #25  
   / New (to me) YM240D #26  
One last point re loader valves:
Be sure it has optional 'float' feature. You push the down lever full forward, and the bucket is free to rise and fall as you drag it backward over rough ground. This is the best way to level uneven ground, especially material you just dumped.

/ New (to me) YM240D #27  
One last point re loader valves:
Be sure it has optional 'float' feature. You push the down lever full forward, and the bucket is free to rise and fall as you drag it backward over rough ground. This is the best way to level uneven ground, especially material you just dumped.
Excellent point. The Cross valve I linked to has float on one spool.

Aaron Z

/ New (to me) YM240D
I run a 5ft bush hog on my tractor and its the ym2000 it can run it in all but the medium to thick tall stuff or short thicker stuff. It will and should easily lift that bush hog. the tail wheel not comeing off the ground is from either the height of the lift pins on the bush hog and or your top link adjustment. Thats not a big deal thats just how its set up. And some say the tail wheel should not really be lifted anyhow just let it roll in trasport.

If your implement on back leaks down its just the rear 3pt worn out. The loader has no bearing on the rear. There is a simple vavle that puts fluid into the 3pt hitch cylinder to push a piston that hits the rock shaft that is connected to the lift arms. It only has pressure to go up, gravity pulls it down when the valve is opened. There is an Oring in the vavle that can be replaced and there is a large thick o ring on the piston that is what is worn to cause your 3pt to leak down. I have a write up with pics and directions here on how to do it. I think its title clemsonfor hydraulics rebuild or something. I will link to it in a bit.
Winston also has a similar rebuild on his but its a different model and yours is identical to mine. But his is where i got the idea to just go ahead and do mine.

here you go...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/254837-clemsonfors-hydraulics-rebuild.html?highlight=

Your loader leaking down is probably those worn and leaky cylinders.

Hi clemsonfor-
You're comments have re-assured me that my FEL issues are separate from the 3PT hitch behavior. When lifting that brush-hog, the tractor didn't seem to have much trouble getting to 'full-height' it just ran out of room. So I'm going to try running that again this weekend but spend some time setting up the brushhog for this machine rather than the larger tractor. I only had a few minutes during lunch today so I didn't do much adjusting. My rear does drift down when the tractor is off but as soon as it's started again the implement comes right back up and it doesn't droop while running. I'll look over the rebuild link, but I think my first effort will be with that terribly leaking loader cylinder.

On your YM2000 do you have a diff-lock? Is the lever under your right foot? When you push that lever does it move the PTO 540/1000 lever? Maybe I should be more concerned about getting my PTO engagement right?

/ New (to me) YM240D
@winston1-

Is that from the IT Yanmar Shop Manual? I've just ordered that from Hoy.

/ New (to me) YM240D
Comparing apples to oranges but,

I have a Woods Dixiecutter M5 that looks very similar to your cutter. It is a pretty heavy cutter. I am sorry i do not have a pic. My YM2001 has no problem picking it up. The YM2001 is tough to find specs on so I do not know what it's lifting capacity is. You should be able to adjust the lift by adjusting the top link.

I agree, I should have no problem lifting this. Do you have any trouble running yours? I think the YM2001 and the YM240 should be pretty similar. Mine is a 2-cylinder and I believe yours is 3 but the HP should be close.