Clutch Play adjustment

/ Clutch Play adjustment #1  

Todd8665

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430
When one is adjusting the play in their clutch when, if ever, do you decide that it's time to replace the clutch. When you are maxed out on the clutch adjustment, and have no other symptoms of a bad clutch should I have the parts on hand at least?

I just know my luck and will be at the bottom of my driveway snow blowing two feet of snow and the clutch will give....

/ Clutch Play adjustment #2  
I have never ever heard of anyone running out of clutch adjustment in almost 60 years of driving and working on stick shift cars. If clutch slips with correct adjustment replace it, or at least inspect it if replacing TO bearing. Expensive parts to have on hand if never needed.

/ Clutch Play adjustment
I only ask because I have next to zero experience. Working on other tractor repairs I have found things out of spec and/or done improperly. I adjusted the free play in my brakes recently and thought I should check the clutch. Nearly two inches of play before it engages so I tightened it up (seems to shift better). I don't/didn't know if this was something that "wore" in like the brakes, or if it was something that was set improperly from the get go - like a number of other items found on the tractor.

/ Clutch Play adjustment #4  
My 2000 was close to the same. 7yrs. and over 400+ Hrs. by the Tach. with No complaints...

/ Clutch Play adjustment #5  
i think it may have been misadjusted or adjusted that way by a person that wanted it to feel that way. There is not 2 inches of clutch material on the clutch to wear out i would not think!!!! I havent seen a yanmar clutch in person but no other clutch i have seen has that much.

/ Clutch Play adjustment #6  
i think it may have been misadjusted or adjusted that way by a person that wanted it to feel that way. There is not 2 inches of clutch material on the clutch to wear out i would not think!!!! I havent seen a yanmar clutch in person but no other clutch i have seen has that much.

2" play in the pedal is only about 1/8" play at the TO bearing.

/ Clutch Play adjustment
Maybe I am misunderstanding or improperly implementing free play. So i'll put myself out there and give my definition of free play.

My understanding of free play is the distance the clutch pedal moves to the point where it actually begins to push on/disengage the clutch. All the slack prior to doing something.

Given my definition however. There is no way that I can adjust the pedal on my 2210 so that there is only .75 yo 1" of free play - per the Yanmar 276 manual . Sitting here typing i am starting to think that my coupler/linkage adjuster might be put together improperly, or have a the wrong coupler. When i turn the coupler counter clockwise as seen from the front of the tractor(per the 276 manual) both ends of the linkage should push out - elongating the linkage. I think the the rear one is getting longer and the front one is getting shorter...hmmm. Off to check this.

Might as well throw in that I am also questioning if my inertia brake is doing anything.

/ Clutch Play adjustment #8  
Your definition of free play is correct. Linkage should get longer or shorter depending on the direction of rotating the coupler. Inertia brake may need adjusting as well.

/ Clutch Play adjustment #9  
2" play in the pedal is only about 1/8" play at the TO bearing.

yea the way it swings and levers i guess your right not that it could move the clutch 2"s out. Wasent useing though i guess:dance1:

/ Clutch Play adjustment #10  
Winston, he is saying that turning the turnbuckle thing one side or rod is lengthening and the rod on the other side is shortening. Instead of them both pushing out and lengthening on turning the same direction.

Probably makes no sense.