New member with some questions!!

/ New member with some questions!! #1  

vegasff13

Tractor
Future owner
Hey all. I am looking to pick up a Ynmar after much research and would like to purchase a recon 3110d. I know everyone on here seems to be big fans of fredricks but since Im in NV its a ways. I found these guys Big-Little Tractor - www.biglittletractor.com and was curious if any of you had any knowledge of thier quality ect. It says they do a 95% refurb and thier pictures and price are right on with Fredricks. Plus they are a lot closer to me and deliver. Let me know what you think. Here is the link to the one they have right now. 3110-38 HP-$11200 - www.biglittletractor.com

/ New member with some questions!! #2  
Welcome. Just me maybe but I stay away from things that have had major work done on them. I don't see the hours on that model.

/ New member with some questions!! #3  
Those V2 loaders show these are Vietnam Refurbs.

A lot of people have good luck with them, others discover their unit has a museum quality paint job over a jumble of parts that all came off other worn-out tractors.

I think all of that 'reconditioning' factory's input is tractors exported used from Japan that were then run in VN until they need major reconditioning to put back in service. Be aware the VN shops have no access whatever to genuine Yanmar replacement parts.

The VN refurbs are not the same thing as a simply used US Yanmar or a Yanmar from Fredricks, his business model is to selects decent used tractors in Japan to bring over.

You might call Coldwater near Seattle, I think he is the last dealer in the West importing tractors from Japan that just need cosmetic cleanup to put in service. He doesn't maintain a website but a Google search should find his phone number.

/ New member with some questions!! #4  
I'll admit, that mine was also a VN recon tractor sold by a guy who gets them out of Louisiana from his Brother's tractor lot. I have had no issues with mine and runs super strong. I went through mine very carefully and it appeared that my engine block had never been cracked open nor the gear box. It did have some sheet metal corrosion on the smaller parts which surround the gearbox which the Vietnamese factories patch welded bondo'd and painted. I paid 9200 for mine with a gannon and loader on it. So far, I used it to take down 11 trees, grade the property and pull out stumps. I may be one of the lucky ones but I knew what I was getting into before dropping the cash on the sellers kitchen counter. HoyeTractor.com carries a ton of parts and Aaron is awesome to work with as well as the rest of the gang there.
The BigLittleTractor dealer appears to be a reseller of vietnamese tractors. Like myself, once you buy, you are on your own for servicing and any major repairs that may be.
Best of luck in your decision.

-Simon

/ New member with some questions!! #5  
At that price you could put a couple more thousand dollars with it and get yourself a good used, non-referb. May not be a 39hp though. But check tractorhouse.com sometimes you can pick up those used Yanmar's for a fair price. Good tractors.

/ New member with some questions!!
Thanks for the input!! Thats why I signed up. I can get one from fredricks for 1k more. I may just need to make a road trip.

/ New member with some questions!! #7  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

The best dealership reputation, not just sales but service is the smart way to go... even if they're a bit further away.

Enjoy the site.

/ New member with some questions!! #8  
Definetly talk to Fredericks...for a grand (less than 10%) it would be worth it to me for the peace of mind alone. I ended up with a VN with almost 200 hours on it and felt that was enough hours from being refurbed to show any major issues. I did talk to Fredericks before I bought mine locally and they negotiated with me on price/delivery.

/ New member with some questions!! #9  
I bought one of those (4220) and had issues with hydraulics from day one. Had to flush and flush and change filters, clean the suction screen which required draining all the oil to do that. Hoses were cheap and I think I had to replace almost all within a year of ownership.

For the price of the VN tractor up to a few thousand more you can get a more modern tractor with parts available. Remember these tractors were last made in the early to mid 1980's so you are looking at a 35 year old tractor so check prices of similar USA made tractors prior to purchasing one of these.

/ New member with some questions!! #10  
They must be buying these from the dealer in Texas,(VN tractors ?) as they are the ones authorized (as I am told) to sell tractors under the YNM name.