YM1700 shutdown

/ YM1700 shutdown
Did you do it like this, to include the block?

Default Re: Purple Ice
Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight
Norm, what steps do you recommend I take to check out your theory? How would I check the block?
First, make sure the outside of your radiator is not plugged with mowing chaff, (blow through it from the engine side with water or air). then back-flush the system by disconnecting the upper rad hose at the rad, run a garden hose into the upper hose and seal with rags. Turn on the water and see what comes out the upper connector, flush til clean. (You might want to unhook the battery and cover electricals with plastic). If still running hot, time for rad shop test and rod job.

No I didn't seal with rags....I will do that Monday and see what comes out of the radiator. Honestly, I never thought about back-washing the radiator itself.

/ YM1700 shutdown
Did you do it like this, to include the block?

Default Re: Purple Ice
Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight
Norm, what steps do you recommend I take to check out your theory? How would I check the block?
First, make sure the outside of your radiator is not plugged with mowing chaff, (blow through it from the engine side with water or air). then back-flush the system by disconnecting the upper rad hose at the rad, run a garden hose into the upper hose and seal with rags. Turn on the water and see what comes out the upper connector, flush til clean. (You might want to unhook the battery and cover electricals with plastic). If still running hot, time for rad shop test and rod job.

LOL....good grief....I just realized that you are referencing a post from almost ten years ago.....I'm guessing that back then I did what you suggested but no way can I remember for certain. My wife has been telling me that I'm showing signs of the beginning stages of alzheimer's; maybe she's right!

/ YM1700 shutdown #23  
Aside from engine heat as most likely, a restriction in the hydraulic system could bog down the engine. Was this related to raising the rear implement?
I'm thinking like California on this, by this issue not having repeated itself, Perhaps the problem Was in the Hydraulic system, I've bogged my 1700 down through using the hydraulics FEL at a low engine speed, Perhaps it had a clog that worked itself through the line, Have you ever cleaned the Hydro Filter?
though I wouldn't completely rule out the cooling system, But check into the hydraulic as well, ;)

/ YM1700 shutdown #24  
a clog that worked thru the line?

far fetched and wishfull thinking.

relief should open depending on where this mystery glog was.. and the suction screen will starve the system resulting in cavitation and REDUCED load as vapor compresses real well...

source has not been found other than the obvious observations thus far.

/ YM1700 shutdown
I thank each of you for the responses to this thread. Deciding not to take any chances I took my tractor to a mechanic for a complete inspection. It now has a new radiator and hoses, new ignition switch, new and upgraded fuse panel and a new SunPro gauge set. All parts except for the gauge set were ordered from Hoye. They are great people to deal wth. My little jewel is running like new with a steady temp of 180 degrees. It is now in the hands of a wonderful neighbor with a welding machine and he is going to add a step on the left side to make it easier for me to mount and dismount from the tractor. The step up was just too high for my old fat body. The lower added step should make it much easier. I am looking forward to doing some riding this weekend.....

P.S. It is believed that the tractor did encounter some kind of heat seizure. The old radiator had developed a leak and the gauge was faulty.

/ YM1700 shutdown #26  
hmm.. heat seized engine is scarry....

/ YM1700 shutdown #28  
yes that is not good , hopefully there was no permanent damage and you got out lucky.

/ YM1700 shutdown #29  
Personally if it was mine I'd want to see cyl walls

/ YM1700 shutdown
UPDATE: our air temperatures have been running around 98-100 the past couple of weeks, and this past week I have been putting my little tractor to the test. It has done a good bit of bush-hogging, harrowing and scraping. Just today I ran her for about two hours in 99 deg air temp and not a hiccup. The new cooling system now has been given about 6 tough hours of work and I would think that if I were going to have any heat (or other) issues they would have surfaced in this horrible outside heat. I must admit that I was very anxious the first couple of hours, but I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the tractor's operation now. It is a tough little jewel.