YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #1  

Todd8665

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430
To the regular reader crowd - I have eluded to a issue I was having shifting..perhaps even eluded to shifting into either 3rd or 4th on my gearshift. This post is both a request on possible fixes and an explanation to my particular 'work around'/not quite fix to the issue.

I've had a difficult time shifting into both third and fourth on my ym2210 BD, as long as I have owned it (3rd/4th winter now?), that started to be a issue more this winter. So i began experimenting shifting into these gears while in use...facing uphill, facing down, rock tractor forward a bit after running backward/vice-versa when going forward, to the eternal trying to find just the right position to make the shift. It always went, but I was doing everything not to FORCE it into gear. Shifting to 4th always felt shy of being fully engaged.

Following that I popped the smaller cover that simply holds the gear shift lever onto the larger cover plate(which holds the 'range shift' lever and the PTO range selection lever. Peeked into see what I could see. Then I took the larger cover plate that holds both levers off and did the same... Never saw anything alarming...

So the other day, after a few days of being warm and me having scraped the driveway down, i drive the tractor into the blacktop and felt the 4x4 grab on the freshly exposed super grippy surface. So I take it out of 4x4 and immediately think(also stuff).... I should try and shift from 3rd to 4th. I try, and it's stiff, but feels somewhat different than it has in the past. I back sift lever out to neutral, then let the brake off and roll a smidgen to a 'neutral' position, then try I 3rd...nice and smooth, pull back to 4th and it too went in quite easily. I continued to experiment and must admit that shifting into and out of 3rd and 4th went much smoother - dare i say even normally - when either not in 4x4, or in 4x4 but i have the front tires lifted of the ground with the bucket.. I have even tested with the front tires on glare ice (something I happen to have a commodity of today) and have found that it is still easier to shift when either not in 4wd, or with the front wheels in the air... This 'stiff 3rd/4th shifting has occurred with both stock and aftermarket tires...

I realize now that...i spend quite a bit of time in 4wd. I've always been good about not driving on the blacktop in 4wd during the summer, but winter i hardly take it out of 4wd.

Regardless, I no longer have to roll the tractor around looking for that 'spot' where it will go into 3rd/4th. I just lift the front wheels off the ground with the bucket and shift. I know I have a "bind", but experimenting with different sized tires to get it to shift or not, or just lift the tires off the ground and shift?? hmmm... No easy solution?

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #2  
I see your prob started with Hoye's turf tire kit. Suspect mismatched sizes or wrong air pressure. You say same prob with stock tires. what were stock sizes? Stock, 9.5 x 24 and 6-14. Try raising/lowering f/r air pressure, (changes rolling circumference), and see if better/worse.

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem
I see your prob started with Hoye's turf tire kit. Suspect mismatched sizes or wrong air pressure. You say same prob with stock tires. what were stock sizes? Stock, 9.5 x 24 and 6-14. Try raising/lowering f/r air pressure, (changes rolling circumference), and see if better/worse.

Nope, I had the same issue with the 9.5 x 24 and 6-14's prior to the turfs. Might be accentuated now, but definitely there from the get go. Love the turf tires even if they are part of the mix.

I'll take your advice and check to see what I have to work with as far as air pressure.

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #4  
Could that be a VN refurb with an unexpected gear ratio in one of the differentials?

Could that be a VN refurb with an unexpected gear ratio in one of the differentials?

That blows my mind a bit...can't deny the possibility. Be it Wrong gear put in, in Vietnam; or wrong gear put in Topeka Kansas

As far as being VN 'origin'... I know the tractor entered the US market place in Little Miami tractor company and has the UTD stickers and safety garb.

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #6  
It it came through Wayne,, I really doubt it being a VN tractor build.
It sure is a long way from home :D

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #7  
He got his straight from Japan, then possibly later brokered tractors from Fredricks (?). So no VN tinkering.

But there's always the chance the yard in Japan, or the farmer who traded it in, swapped out a bad front axle.

I think all you can do is see if you have the same proportion of front/rear tire revolutions with, then without, the 4wd engaged.

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #8  
Put a piece of masking tape in same location in ref. to ground on front and rear tire and drive in 4wd. See which dir, if any the tapes move from each other That will tell you if need to go up or down on front tire size. If front tape moves further than rear, front tire too small, or low air pressure.

Put a piece of masking tape in same location in ref. to ground on front and rear tire and drive in 4wd. See which dir, if any the tapes move from each other That will tell you if need to go up or down on front tire size. If front tape moves further than rear, front tire too small, or low air pressure.

Did this extra hastily when I was pulling tractor out the other day:

With the 3 point snowblower removed.

Rear tire distance traveled in one revolution = 111"
Front tires distance traveled in one revolution = 77"

/ YM2210 'Range' Shifting Problem #10  
That is 1.44:1. A 6-14 75" circumference and a 9.5-24 124" equals 1.65:1