Yanmar 2310d won't move

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #1  

kfin

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2310D
Tractor ran "fine" all last year. Fine is in quotes as the clutch was beginning to growl anytime it was pushed. All worked fine though when I parked it last fall. Started it up today to till the garden and it runs like a top but will not move in any range or in any gear. Clutch grinds pretty good when you push it in.

After some research on here....I drained the hydro fluid and took the filter out. The filter was dirty, cleaned it up and filled it up with new fluid. Same thing.

One caveat is that it WILL move if I push the differential lock down, both forward and backward. I only let it roll a couple of feet and stopped each direction.

Any thoughts on where to start? Would the "growling" most likely be the throw bearing in the clutch? Or the clutch plate itself? Would the clutch cause it to not move in any range/gear?

This is a great place and you guys have saved me before. :) I have the service manual for the machine...at least I think I do. Hoye sent me the YM276 / YM276D manual when I ordered it.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Keith

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #2  
Yes,, If clutch is bad, it won't move in any gear front or back.. When I park mine for long periods,, I put something on the clutch peddle to hold it down, so the clutch doesn't stick to the Pressure Plate..
Hard to say, but your throw out bearing , P P or both could be bad..

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move
Thanks kenmac....I thought the clutch was going bad and/or throwout bearing due to the noise that started last summer. My clutch plate did stick one winter and I said that I would not allow that to happen again, but alas I forgot to put something to hold it down this past winter. I do not think it is just stuck though as if I recall correctly when it was stuck it ran "fine" just played **** stopping. lol

Why would it start rolling when I pushed the differential pedal down (locking in the right rear tire)? Does that change the diagnosis at all?

2 years ago, the 4wd stopped working. I posted on here and took it apart multiple times and never could get it to work. It ran fine in 2wd so I just used it like that with the 4wd shaft removed. Could they all be related?

I guess I will try and split it sometime soon and take a look. Was hoping to avoid but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Keith

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #4  
I can't answer that..I was just going by what you said that it is making a noise..
If it worked fine until you put it up (for how long ?) One would think it would still work...

Hang around for some other ideas.. It's hard to diagnose a problem from behind a computer screen.
Keep playing around with it.Pushing the clutch in and out.. It may begin to move,and that may give you an idea where to look for the problem

Agreed, hard to diagnose via the web. I tilled my garden under with it in November and parked it in the shed. Just fired it up to till the garden today and it is messed up.

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #6  
Does the pto work? Not just turn, but have power?

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #7  
"One caveat is that it WILL move if I push the differential lock down, both forward and backward. I only let it roll a couple of feet and stopped each direction."

That being the case something is broken in the rear drive area, 1 side or the other, probably brake pinion shaft or sheared pinion, in addition to TO bearing. I would investigate that before splitting.

Does the pto work? Not just turn, but have power?

It did in November when I put it up. Nothing hooked up to it right now. Does it need to be underload to tell?

I can get something drug down there tonight and test.

"One caveat is that it WILL move if I push the differential lock down, both forward and backward. I only let it roll a couple of feet and stopped each direction."

That being the case something is broken in the rear drive area, 1 side or the other, probably brake pinion shaft or sheared pinion, in addition to TO bearing. I would investigate that before splitting.

hmmmmm, good thoughts. I'll start checking that area tonight

/ Yanmar 2310d won't move #10  
hmmmmm, good thoughts. I'll start checking that area tonight

I would put in gear, wedge diff lock pedal down, jack up rear wheels , and see if 1 turns by hand, (broken side). Remove brake drum cover on that side. Drum may fall out if shaft broken.