One too many snowstorms for the 1510

/ One too many snowstorms for the 1510 #1  

Roonabeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510 2wd, Kubota BX1860
Hi all,

We hardly had any snow this year in the northeast (especially compared to last year), but we got a bonus 5 or so inches on Monday. I might have just let it melt on its own, but since I still hadn't gotten around to taking the snowblower off the back (despite multiple days in the 60s), I went ahead and got it out and started blowing the driveway in front of the garage. I cleared some of the area directly by the garage door and was making my second pass down to the road. The build-up from the plows at the bottom of the driveway didn't seem too bad, but just before I got through it on that second pass, the blower and PTO stopped and so did my backwards motion. There was some noise from the general area of the transmission as well.

At this point, no forward, no reverse, and no PTO. I did disengage the PTO and then re-engage it, and I saw it briefly start to turn the blower before it stopped moving again. No noticeable load on the engine with the clutch out and PTO engaged. Seems like I broke something in or near the clutch since it won't move in any gear under its own power either. I used a come-along to pull the thing into the garage and am finally headed out to spend some time with it now. The shear bolt on the snowblower remained intact and it didn't appear that I hit anything immovable, just had the engine under a fairly heavy load.

Presumably I need to split it at the bell housing and see what I find?

/ One too many snowstorms for the 1510
Thanks Winston. Is there anything to be learned from looking through the little access hole on the side of the transmission?

Attachments

• image-709618172.jpg
    image-709618172.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 216
   / One too many snowstorms for the 1510 #4  
Not sure where that access hole is located. Thinking maybe on the clutch housing. Also not sure what you can see there. If you can see the clutch shaft and is is turning then that would eliminate the clutch as a possible problem.

Sorry, "right side of the bell housing" would have been a better description. Engine is to the right in the picture. The horizontal bolt below the hole is attaching the bell housing to the engine and this is all on the opposite side of the tractor from the starter. If I look at an angle enough toward the engine inside the access hole, I can just see the tops of the flywheel teeth the starter engages with, so I assume I'm looking at whatever's attached to the flywheel, guessing it's the pressure plate (#20) in CLUTCH: Yanmar Tractor Parts. It spins when I turn the starter. I can't see anything looking toward the transmission side of the hole, or at least not well enough to have any idea what I'm looking at.

I spent some time figuring out what needs to be disconnected to split the tractor, then taking pictures of electrical connections and then disconnecting them, in hopes I can put this back together later. I'll work on it more tomorrow, and hopefully provide updates then.

/ One too many snowstorms for the 1510 #6  
Sorry, "right side of the bell housing" would have been a better description. Engine is to the right in the picture. The horizontal bolt below the hole is attaching the bell housing to the engine and this is all on the opposite side of the tractor from the starter. If I look at an angle enough toward the engine inside the access hole, I can just see the tops of the flywheel teeth the starter engages with, so I assume I'm looking at whatever's attached to the flywheel, guessing it's the pressure plate (#20) in CLUTCH: Yanmar Tractor Parts. It spins when I turn the starter. I can't see anything looking toward the transmission side of the hole, or at least not well enough to have any idea what I'm looking at.

I spent some time figuring out what needs to be disconnected to split the tractor, then taking pictures of electrical connections and then disconnecting them, in hopes I can put this back together later. I'll work on it more tomorrow, and hopefully provide updates then.

If you are lucky, It will just be the center of the clutch plate falling out. Does the tractor growl when you press the clutch pedal?

Still need to split the tractor to find out.

I left the blower off, and did nothing. Snow's all gone from the drive today ;-)

You ran the PTO and snow blower WITHOUT an OVERRUN CLUTCH off of the back of the PTO spline. Sad.

I have done that for some time now, yes. Sad or not, there is absolutely no room for an ORC with this snowblower. I don't feel too bad about that because snow blowers don't have much more rotational inertia than tillers and Yanmar didn't see fit to include an ORC with those.

Good call Winston, it does appear to be a now-spline less shaft. I'll see about taking the pressure plate off tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-2069580561.jpg
    image-2069580561.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 255
  • image-2106065084.jpg
    image-2106065084.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 197
   / One too many snowstorms for the 1510 #10  
I've never known anyone to use an over run clutch on anything other than a mower..A slip clutch for a tiller maybe