YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #1  

Dingbat

Tractor
YM 1700
Some may remember that I've had starting problems. New starter (and I think new solenoid). Sometimes fires right up; other times nothing until you turn the key repeatedly and then cranks great. Sure it's not a battery or battery connection issue. Many of you suggested ignition switch...I never followed through on that because, like magic, it worked with no problem for many days. Yesterday started and worked fine for an hour or so. Went to restart and a VERY slow turn over and smoke came from the little wire on the solenoid with the spade attachment. Would this be another indication that it is the ignition switch? Tnx, Steve

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #2  
What it means is that there is a bad connection where it is smoking. The spade attachment may not be fastened good enough to the wire or the spade attachment may not have a good connection where it is fastened on the solenoid. Take the wire off & shine up the surfaces or recrimp the spade attachment.

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire
Thanks Leonard. I put in a new wire and new connections and Dremel'd everything shiny. That seems to have stopped the smoking problem but I'm back to just the clicking when I turn the key. I've got a mechanic friend coming by later and see if he can narrow it down. Maybe it is the ignition switch. Tnx again! Steve

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #4  
Steve, you have to be careful about letting that magic smoke out of electrical stuff. I let all the magic smoke out of an electric string trimmer last week, and there was so much of it that it would have appeared that there was a surplus, but there wasn't. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #5  
It's easy to test to see if it is the ignition switch... just make a jumper and go from the battery to the solenoid ( disconnecting the old solenoid wire from the igniton switch.. in case it is shorted )... that bypasses the switch entirely..

Soundguy

Ok Soundguy...you're dealing with a Dingbat here so be more precise /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif: On the Solenoid there is a little wire with a spade attachment and there is a honker of a wire from the battery. Which do I connect/disconnect and to what? I don't want the Magic the other gentleman mentioned /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. PS: I went out after the last post...it clicked a few times and then fired right up! Steve

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #7  
FIRST - MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS IN NEUTRAL AND THE BRAKE LOCKED ON BEFORE PROCEEDING!

There should be a big wire from the battery to the solenoid, and a small wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. Disconnect the small wire from the solenoid. Take a short piece of wire and touch one end to the stud where the big wire attaches to the solenoid, and the other end to the small spade where you took off the small wire. The starter should turn the engine over easily.

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #8  
Also check your battery connections, make sure you have a real good ground. We had a delivery truck that (I was told) had a corroded ground. It smoked the wire to the altenator when you tried to start it but, not every time. It may not be the problem but, it would be worth it to check all connections with the battery, starter, solenoid, altenator.

/ YM1700 Smoking solenoid wire #9  
Good point.. the starter itself may not be grounding good, if it is new, due to paint. Over on the N-Board, a fellow had his starter rebuilt, and the shop hit it with a thick rubery black paint.. At this time he also painted his chassie.. including the starter mount... unit would'nt turn over.. he removed the starter and sanded the flanges at the joint.. and it spun over like a race car..

Dingbats starter was just rebuilt.. so that might be an issue.

Also: To Dingbat..

Kirby gave you a good explanation of my vauge advice.. jump the incoming large hot wire over to the solenoid small terminal ( in neutral ).. if it doesnt do anything either solenoid is bad.. or starter is going.. take a jumper cable and jump from the battery hot to the starter lug directly.. this should make it spin.. if it doesn't.. starter may be going.

Soundguy

Thanks to all. Must be the ignition switch. Did the jumper thing and it fired right up! Appreciate the help. Steve