Replacing knuckle seals

/ Replacing knuckle seals #1  

MesaAZguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1802d
I removed the front knuckles from my 1802 tractor to replace badly leaking seals. I have the seals and a seal resurface kit. Anyone have tips or tricks before I tear into this thing? What did you use to install the 6" diameter seal with, etc.
Thank you!

/ Replacing knuckle seals
So i tore into it and used my gut instincts to get the job done. I had to pry the old seal out as it was stuck in there. The new one went in easily with the motivation of a rubber mallet. The seal surface tool needed a hole punched in it to clear the pivot rod. I used one of my electrical hole punches to do the job. I smeared a hint of black gasket maker on the old seal surface to prevent any gear oil from seeping between the surfaces. The job took me about 35 minutes on one side. I also replaced the four upper bolts as they were badly corroded.

I did get my foam filled tires back from the tire shop today. I can attest that it must have added about 25lbs per tire. I may consider doing the rears just for the weight gain and ease of maintenance (No flats ever) however the cost for the rears is north of $200 each.

/ Replacing knuckle seals #3  
Where did you find the repair sleeve?

/ Replacing knuckle seals #4  
I'm doing the same job on my 2210 - the left side was literally pouring oil and the right was beginning to seep so I'm doing both. Like you I just grabbed some wrenches and started disassembly, went pretty easy though I am wondering about getting that ---- 'gland??' nut that holds the stub axle back on the threads! Ordered the seals and the sleeves for the stub axle from Hoye yesterday (nice people!) so they ought to be along in the next day or so.

What is a "seal resurface kit" ? That wasnt mentioned when I talked to the parts guy.

The repair sleeve is just that, a sleeve that slips over the sealing surface. This creates a new surface for the rubber seal to ride on instead of the pitted surface on the casting. I bought it from Hoye. It is on their website when you search for the knuckle seal as a sidebar note. The kit was $60 for one side and consists of what looks like half a small coffee can and a sleeve (collar) that has a lip to which the coffee can "tool" sits on so you can hammer it in place. I didn't take a picture of the collar portion but you can see it in my pictures on the casting.
It's 104º out today so I did one side and called it a day!

No more leaky leaks! All went together easily and I installed my foam filled tires. While I was in there, I aligned the front wheels. The right side had a bad toe-in.
Went to fuel her up and no complaints.

Took care of a sewer clean-out in preparation for a new room addition. Now the temps are in the 100's so tractor time is limited to nightfall.

/ Replacing knuckle seals #7  
Success on mine too - The stub axle seal on the left was my BIG leak, but I want ahead and did both sides with the axle and knuckle seals. I initially started out rather dreading the job but it wasnt nearly as bad as I had imagined - rather nasty what with that messy 90wt oil all over every part. Have driven around the property several times now and not a sign of a leak --- YEA!

/ Replacing knuckle seals #8  
No more leaky leaks! All went together easily and I installed my foam filled tires. While I was in there, I aligned the front wheels. The right side had a bad toe-in.
Went to fuel her up and no complaints.

Took care of a sewer clean-out in preparation for a new room addition. Now the temps are in the 100's so tractor time is limited to nightfall.

That tractor rehab is impressive. Think I got a few more gray hairs than you hence a backhoe attachment on the 2420 .......so in the process of an add-on to my place, I prefer that effort to the golf course or bingo.