3-Point Hitch New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #1  

drunderw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 3110D
Hello everyone, I'm a new YM 3110D owner and glad to register on this forum.

I have a question about the transmission and then one about the 3 point.

Transmission
I got the tractor home and drove it for the first time today. In neutral it has a bit of a whirring whine noise. As soon as I put it in gear it has a loud whine in all gears. It is the kind of sound that you'd expect to hear when creeping in a very low gear. In fact, it is also the same sort of sound my dad's John Deere lawnmower would make as you press the gas to go faster. It does seem much louder than I'd expect. I've driven a Ford 3930 and it doesn't have that sort of noise. Any ideas if this is normal for these tractors or if there is something I need to look at? I unscrewed the oil cap by the powershift and there was oil up to the top of the hashed area on the dipstick and it was almost clear, very very clean. Anything else I should check? It seems to be similar to what the person on this post was experiencing in a post: 367224 yanmar 2610d transmission sound
(sorry I'm not allowed to link yet)

3pt
Also, my 3 point does not move up until I get almost at the end of the range of the slider (I slide it from the bottom toward the back of the tractor). It's only in the last inch or so that it moves and then it is nearly impossible to get it to stop, I have to barely bump it or it'll drop down fast or shoot all the way up. At any rate, once it is up it seems to slowly fall down. I'm not sure what I can do to make this better but it is very difficult to adjust / use.

Thanks so much for any help or advice! Great to meet y'all!

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up
By the way, if I have both gears in neutral the sound still happens when I let the clutch out.

The issue with the 3pt is also that I can't really hit any point in between up or down, it either runs all the way up or drops all the way down.

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #3  
did you check the lock out valve. in front of the seat between your knees?

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #4  
Lock out valve is a good place to start. But other than maybe a cut o ring or really bad valve or screwed up adjustment mechanism I can't think of anything else with the 3pt?

Have you changel your trans filter and or cleaned the screen if that's all it has. I would start there and change the fluid if you haven't already. Fluid is like $30 for a 5 gallon bucket so there is no reason not to change it and the filter if it's a new to you tractor to start fresh with fluids.

did you check the lock out valve. in front of the seat between your knees?

Thanks, I took a look and it's all the way open.I found this online and will try tonight.

Three Point Won't Stay Up- Leaks Down. Lift the three point all the way up and close the lock valve (usually located between your knees lust under the seat- see fig A). Shut off the tractor. If the three point still seeps down then you probably have a bad lift piston oring because, by closing the lock out valve, you have eliminated the valve & everything else in the system. If the three point stays up then you likely have a problem with the three point control valve.​

Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully just the lock-out. Would replacing any of the other parts be really hard? I do work on my truck like pinion seal, ball joints, and such. There's a threaded rod near the 3pt adjustment control on the back, I'm guessing that's the adjustment mechanism you're talking about.

The fluid in it is almost clear so based on the previous owner telling me he'd just changed it I didn't do it right away since I just got it Saturday but based on things I probably should go ahead since I don't know the status of the filter. As far as I know the 3110D only has the filter to the lower right of the PTO shaft.

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #7  
it will have somewhat of a whine to it, as it is pretty much hydro static drive.. You have an adjustment valve on the left side of the seat ,and the big knob under the seat... You also have an a threaded part that you can adjust... I don't know if any of these adjustments will cure your current 3 pt issue

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #8  
Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully just the lock-out. Would replacing any of the other parts be really hard? I do work on my truck like pinion seal, ball joints, and such. There's a threaded rod near the 3pt adjustment control on the back, I'm guessing that's the adjustment mechanism you're talking about.

The fluid in it is almost clear so based on the previous owner telling me he'd just changed it I didn't do it right away since I just got it Saturday but based on things I probably should go ahead since I don't know the status of the filter. As far as I know the 3110D only has the filter to the lower right of the PTO shaft.

I did a post where I covered the rebuild of the 3pt. Basically an O ring change. It's a big fat one and costs like $5 from hoye. I think I even covered the replacement of the o ring in the valve but can't remember now. I will post the link here.

Winston also did a 3pt o ring replacement that same year I beleive. It does not take much skill or ability to swap the o ring as well.

Also as to the filter. If it's a screen make sure you checkit to make sure it's clear.

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #9  
it will have somewhat of a whine to it, as it is pretty much hydro static drive.
Kinda sorta. There's a hydraulic pump in there and you might be able to hear it, but its not like a hydrostatic drive. The Powershift in principle is identical to a small car automatic transmission, with meshed gears connected in/out of the power path by hydraulic clutch packs. These clutch packs look similar to a multi-plate motorcycle clutch, if you've ever seen one apart. The difference from an automotive automatic transmission is there's no torque converter between the engine and transmission. The transmission input shaft is driven directly from the output shaft of an ordinary manual-transmission clutch mounted on the engine, probably the same clutch, if this model tractor has a manual transmission twin.

The internal clutch packs soften each shift but after a second or so when they are fully engaged, there is is a direct mechanical path through the transmission. The Powershift's small hydraulic pump serves only to pressurize these clutch packs, it doesn't drive hydraulic motors, generally at each drive wheel, like the larger pumps of a hydrostatic drive system.

/ New 3110d owner - whining noise from transmission, 3 point not staying up #10  
I only described it as kinda like a hydro static because of the whine from the pump ,and the fact it won't go if there's no fluid, and a geared transmission would still go without fluid.. correct,It has no hydro pump that actually drives hydro motors for movement of the tractor..
I don't know about a soft shift though.. I wish mine shifted as soft as my Ram truck lol