226D rear drive problem

/ 226D rear drive problem #1  

ancientlake

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM226D, AC 653 Crawler Dozer, lots of JD 200 series garden tractors
Hello,

Haven't been on this forum in years. Finally have a Yanmar again.

Bucket hit a hidden stump full tilt on my 226D. Heard a metallic snap sound and now shaft to rear drive is not turning. Shaft does turn when tractor is pushed/wheels manually turned. Front drive works fine. Took shaft cover off and both ends look ok.

Anything easy (shear pin etc) or do we need to get into the front axlel? I won't be doing that because I am obviously not a real mechanic.

Thanks,

Chris

/ 226D rear drive problem #2  
Little confused. Thinking you lost 4 wheel drive? Does the shaft turn coming out of the drop box when 4 wheel drive is engaged? Might have to jack it up to do some trouble shooting.

/ 226D rear drive problem
No drive at all without front drive engaged. Front drive only (I assume) when 4WD engaged.

Thanks

/ 226D rear drive problem #4  
Oh me! Sounds like a stub axle (final pinion) broken. Could be sheared ring gear bolts. What happens if you mash the differential lock with the 4 wheel drive not engaged?

Thanks. Away from the tractor the next few days, but will check out what the differential lock does when I get back. Can't imagine it would have any effect since the shaft to the rear isn't turning.

Chris

/ 226D rear drive problem #6  
Thanks. Away from the tractor the next few days, but will check out what the differential lock does when I get back. Can't imagine it would have any effect since the shaft to the rear isn't turning.

Chris

What do you mean by the "shaft to the rear"? It is inside the bellhousing/transmission. How can you see it?

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of knowledge/terminology. The shaft that runs from the front axle to the rear axle (prop shaft?). I slid the covers off it so I could see both ends. Thanks,

Chris

/ 226D rear drive problem #9  
The front axle is driven by the shaft you are talking about. The main drive shaft from the engine enters the transmission at the back of the clutch housing. Power goes from there through gears on to the drop box that drives your front wheel drive. Sending you a PM.

ok gotcha. Will check your pm, and refrain from more posting until I do a little more homework!
Thanks,
Chris