Tires Turf tires vs Truck Tires

/ Turf tires vs Truck Tires #1  

Jtullis13

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D & YM 155D
Hello all, I am going to purchasing a different tractor, possibly a Yanmar YM1700d, my question is for the folks who have a similar size tractor that has the large truck tires on their tractor in place of an actual turf tire. Like the turf tire kit that Hoye sells. I believe the tire size for the rear is 315/75r16 and it is a Maxxis tire. Yes you can probably get a different brand, but that is what usually comes on their kit. Who here has experience with these large truck tires on their tractor? Needing some input on snow traction on pavement and grassy areas. Aslo traction on turf too, do these tires tear up the lawn more so than actual turf tires? Please give any input that you may have. Thanks

/ Turf tires vs Truck Tires
They would look like these from Hoye

image-3279931911.jpg

Or something like these

image-667350157.jpg

/ Turf tires vs Truck Tires #4  
I think my friends JD855 (yanmar painted green and called a JD) has 33x12.50x15 tires on it. I believe they are true turf tires but you could easily put on tires just like you have pictured and don't think they would do any more damage.

Thanks Clemsonfor. I am inquiring because if I decide to get this 1700d those are the types of turf tires available for it, not a true turf tire. This tractor will be mainly used for snow removal and odd jobs around the yard. So the concern is snow traction and turf damage. I know that actual turf tires have a good tread depth and truck tires do not have as deep tread but I'm sure would work ok. My only other option would be to get a 2000d which would have true turf tires.

/ Turf tires vs Truck Tires #6  
The tires that we use actually have very good snow traction. Typically better than the lug tires in most circumstances. They are also very kind to the lawn. Though they are not technically 'turf tires' I have not seen any real world application where you could tell the difference.

You can find several reviews here including the one in the link below
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/350929-hoye-turf-tire-report.html#post4342857

The 1700D and the 2000D both take the bigger kit which uses actual 13.6-16 turf tires.
shown here-->
Turf Kit - Read Description! - Free Shipping*: Yanmar Tractor Parts

Thanks for the reply, but according to your website the 1700d take a different set of tires than the 2000d. The 1700d has smaller tires than the 2000d

image-3600458621.jpg

The 1700d rear tire is 8.3-24 and the 2000d rear tire is a 9.5-24. Rolling circumference for the 1700d is 117" and the 2000d is 123". So the turf tires can't be the same, or can they? Thanks Aaron if you can reply.

/ Turf tires vs Truck Tires #9  
They take the same turf kit because they have the same 4wd ratio. They have the same ratio because the front tires are also different. 5-14 vs 6-14.

Edit: The 1700 2wd kit takes the 315 Maxxis tire.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron for the clarification!