Too Hot?

/ Too Hot? #31  
Block is clean and outside was painted. Installed new sleeves, bearings, pistons, rings and head. (I wonder if the head is used?) Also radiator, water pump, and thermostat are new. All of the things that would normally make a tractor run hot are nearly new. I don't see anything on the form saying they back-flushed the block, but they told me they steam cleaned it. Wouldn't that have taken care of any issues?

The only way to know for sure would be to back-flush it. I have owned about 10 vehicles, now a Pontiac and Chevy van, and a YM2000B, with temp gauges and ALL, when working properly, ran well below the 1/2 mark on the gauge under all conditions. If mine were running at or above the 1/2 mark I would check everything, trusting nothing.

/ Too Hot?
When I tested the radiator and hoses they were never near 180; I don't think it was over 160. If I put a sensor in the coolant, I don't think I'm gonna see a problem. My concern was the hot places on the head close to the manifold, and of course the only reason I ever even checked that is because of the temp gauge.

/ Too Hot? #34  
FWIW here are some observations I made with an infrared remote thermometer long ago on my YM240:

right after mowing:

140 degrees on the bottom of the oil pan, 165 at the lower block, and 195 near the injectors, at the upper radiator hose fitting, and at the radiator upper tank. The radiator lower tank was below 100.

This rig has never overheated. Well, at least after I soon learned to keep the radiator screen hosed out.

/ Too Hot? #35  
Coosa I did the same thing as Scotty did with his thermostat, but I don't have any pictures of it at the moment. All I have is the gauge I installed that I posted earlier. Either way I did mine just as Scotty did his and it works great.

/ Too Hot? #36  
I have noticed that since I have installed ballast turf tires with rim guard on my 2210d that the light work load operating temp usually hangs around 160 degrees. So I suspect that more than light normal use it will run a little hotter probably near the 180-200 degree mark. Which should still be ok. Any new info on your tractor Coosa?

/ Too Hot?
I have noticed that since I have installed ballast turf tires with rim guard on my 2210d that the light work load operating temp usually hangs around 160 degrees. So I suspect that more than light normal use it will run a little hotter probably near the 180-200 degree mark. Which should still be ok. Any new info on your tractor Coosa?

Sorry for not answering sooner; I hadn't checked the board for a few days. I've used the tractor several hours moving dirt with a scrape blade, but it wasn't hard work and it never got past the mid point on the gauge. It seems like several hours of bush hogging is the only way to get it really hot, and I'm really thinking the tractor is acting normal.

I've spent a lot of time on my JD5075 lately and have taken a lot of readings on it with the laser thermometer. I found it gives me readings very close to the same as the Yanmar after several hours of hard work. I still wanta install a real gauge on the Yanmar, but that may turn out to be a winter job. Just got too much going on now.

Thanks again for all the help.