Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #1  

treedawg

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Yanmar YM2000
My Yanmar has three dummy lights on the dash that have never worked.

I found the bulbs and harness flopping around under the hood when I purchased the tractor and now I'm ready to repair them but I'm not sure where to start.

Whats the best way to tackle this project??

td

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #2  
31855d1104721271-1610d-volt-reg-wells-vr728-557466-yam240elec-gif

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #3  
Whats the best way to tackle this project??

Replace them all with mechanical gauges :)

Are you asking how to physically re-mount them in the dash or how to check to see if they are working?

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #4  
asking how to physically re-mount them in the dash or how to check to see if they are working?
My YM240 lights were dangling when I bought the tractor. I bought a used 3-bulb dash assembly off a customer-return VN 'rebuilt' and installed that. Also replaced the weird, irreplaceable fuses with common glass ones. I posted a photo long ago, and re-posted it recently along with a follow-up comment. One step more classy would be to buy a replica replacement bulb assembly from Hoye.

That wiring diagram above should be sufficient to trace proper function of your lights even if the assembly has disintegrated like my original one had.

In my opinion restoring the original warning lights is sufficient. I bought a nice temperature gauge but never got around to installing it. After several years without ever an overheating incident I decided a gauge wasn't needed, the warning light is sufficient. Just test the bulb from time to time. To do this raise the insulation at the sender and jumper a ground to that signal wire. The dash light should come on.

Hoye has anything you might need for your YM2000. And their parts diagrams are helpful to see how things go together. Their presence is what makes it possible to keep these antiques in top condition.

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000
Replace them all with mechanical gauges :)

Are you asking how to physically re-mount them in the dash or how to check to see if they are working?

I want to know how to check them for proper function and rewire/repair if necessary.

To tell you truth I prefer dummy lights over gauges. I would probably notice a dummy light before a gauge unless I was closely monitoring the tractors performance. There always seems to be a lot going on when I'm running the tractor.

That said I would love to replace the OEM tach/hour meter combo if available. My tach is very erratic when I'm running. Where are gauges located on your website..???

Thanks again to all for the imput/advice...!!!!

/ Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #6  
I repaired a jumpy tach on the YM186D I sold. Removed the tach, turned it upside down, and worked lock fluid (graphite in solvent) in around the tach cable input. It still worked like new when I sold the tractor 5 years later.

A kinked tach drive cable might make the tach jumpy, that would be easy to observe.

I repaired a jumpy tach on the YM186D I sold. Removed the tach, turned it upside down, and worked lock fluid (graphite in solvent) in around the tach cable input. It still worked like new when I sold the tractor 5 years later.

A kinked tach drive cable might make the tach jumpy, that would be easy to observe.

I'll give that a try. Just located the tach on Hoye's website and they are a little pricey but will buy one if the graphite trick fails. Did you use rubbing alcohol as the solvent for the graphite and if not what did you use..??

I purchased my Yanmar to use in tight places around the farm where my cab tractor won't fit. It was definitely neglected by the previous owner and i'm somewhat guilty of the same so there's a lot of nitpicky things need attention. The more i use the little tractor the more I like it so I'm beginning to work out the kinks.

The clutch might be one of my winter projects if I get around to it. Still pulls good w/o slipping but it won't fully disengage and it's adjusted all the way out.

td

One more thing....

I assume the mechanical temp gauge will work in conjunction with the dummy light..??

td

Last edited:
   / Dummy lights not working on Yanmar YM 2000 #9  
The graphite lock fluid comes as a liquid in a little can like the smallest '3-in-1' oil. Just shake the can then squeeze it to dribble some out. I left the tach face down overnight and may have treated it again the next day, don't remember. None of the lock fluid migrated to be visible on the face of the tach, something I had worried about but would have considered acceptable on that YM186D.

My YM240 (YM2000 equivalent) was like you described yours, it showed years of 'neglected maintenance' but fundamentally sound. After a month of tinkering repairing/replacing minor stuff like those dash lights it has been flawlessly reliable since, 13 years now. It still looks thrashed, I've never done anything about its appearance.

Discussion here indicates it is impossible to have the warning light's sensor and a gauge's sensor both immersed in hot water in the 'thermostat housing' (there's no thermostat) - you have to mount one or the other. I've read of people splicing metal into the upper radiator hose to make a mounting point for a second temperature sensor like was done on some old tractors that never had a sensor. I wouldn't do that. My own preference is just get the OEM sensor/light system working and don't worry about it.

That the clutch won't fully disengage might be the linkage is too long or short. Look to see if someone hacked in some linkage component that isn't original. Between 3 Yanmars purchased at over 25~30 years old, I've found and replaced cobbled-together brake linkage rods on two of them. I suspect the originals broke when adjustment was attempted but the adjuster threads were rusted. if you find some hand made parts in there replace them with Hoye OEM replicas. I'm a strong believer in restoring everything to as close to original as possible, it makes everything easier to understand.

I didn't ever consider the clutch linkage as a potential problem.

The tractor pulls good with a disc or rotary cutter w/o a hint of the clutch slippage so what you said makes sense.

I already have several important winter projects so one less won't hurt my feelings.

td