Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #1  

NCShelton

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
   / Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #2  
Re: Yanmar \"hammer\" at low RPM solution

I'm the original poster in that thread. Since it meandered around discussing several
topics, I'll summarize here what I learned:

I received the tractor containing years-old fuel. I didn't like the hard starting and
excessive knock.

Power Service fuel additive (white bottle) at maximum strength modified this old
fuel so it started easily, and silenced nearly all of the fuel knock.

I discarded the old fuel after several TBN posters advised that old fuel could
damage the injectors.

Fresh fuel with no additive started ok but had some knock. Also the exhaust burned
my eyes. (Subsequent to my sig photos I've set this tractor up for orchard service
with the exhaust pointed straight ahead to reduce height).

Power Service at recommended maximum (1:200) improved the fresh fuel noticeably.
Now it purred. Little knock during warmup and it immediately sounded like a
warm engine. When truly warm, a load at lower rpm didn't cause knock or feel
like lugging. Also the exhaust smell disappeared. It was as if the engine was now
tuned properly. I think I will continue to use Power Service.

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #3  
Re: Yanmar \"hammer\" at low RPM solution

CALIFORNIA--PLEASE contact me. If you will email a # I will be happy to call you on my dime. Contact info on our profile. Thank you.

wayne

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #5  
Re: Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution

This thread was a big help to me I have been wondering if I was going to have to check the timing on my 3810D it was so noisy before it warmed up and even puttering around it even clattered warm but not as bad.

I tried the PS white bottle @ 200% and I am just amazed how quiet my engine is so thanks California for the info I am sold on it!

I had a guy yesterday say hey is that a diesel?! hahaha that made my day.

Steve

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #6  

I recently bought a 186D.......it had a few issues with prior maintenence. Basically....it wasn't well maintained. Changed all fluids and filters.....replaced a few parts and added Power Service to the fuel. I am using diesel kleen....gray bottle for a few tanks. It's supposed to clean things up....including the injectors. I am not a scientist....but my engine seems to start better....the diesel knock goes away pretty quick and I don't seem to have as much smoke as when I got it. The engine seems to run very well.....it has about 790 hrs. I am going to run this product for a couple of tank fulls.....then switch to the diesel supplement.....white bottle. This stuff is actually fairly inexpensive.......one bottle last a long time because you only use a few onces per tank. The way I see it.......it seems to be helping.....so why not???::::confused:

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #7  

I use Power Service in my 1610D not because I had any problems but because I was already using it in my Ford F250. It was recommended to me to keep the injectors clean in my truck. It does increase fuel mileage in my truck slightly (2-3 MPG). If it extends injector life seems like cheap insurance as I want to avoid major repairs on both the truck and the tractor.

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #8  

My wife even noticed the difference that's a mechanics wife for ya apparently I trained her well about noises and such!

Steve

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #9  

My wife even noticed the difference that's a mechanics wife for ya apparently I trained her well about noises and such!

Steve

due to the fact that I'm half def I need to count on my wife to hear all the noises I can't hear, high pitch noises like the breaks warning tabs screeching just blends in with the Darn Crickets I hear in my head :D but there is no getting use to the sound of that hammering going on inside my yanmar,
even while being half def:eek:
I'm glade to find out that there is a product can help to quite it down some :thumbsup: I'll be looking for this stuff;)

/ Yanmar "hammer" at low RPM solution #10  

due to the fact that I'm half def I need to count on my wife to hear all the noises I can't hear, high pitch noises like the breaks warning tabs screeching just blends in with the Darn Crickets I hear in my head :D but there is no getting use to the sound of that hammering going on inside my yanmar,
even while being half def:eek:
I'm glade to find out that there is a product can help to quite it down some :thumbsup: I'll be looking for this stuff;)

Yeah my hearing isn't so good either sorry to say I know what you mean. :(

I hear well enough I guess to get me by but there was a noticeable change in mine so hopefully it works for you too! Maybe its the fuel here as well?

Someday I am going to check the timing anyway only because there is a very very very slight oil leak around my pump and that bugs me to no end, so to make everything cool I will make sure of the timing when I pull the pump so I can make the shim changes if necessary.

Steve