Oil & Fuel oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #11  
Not impossible but 250 hours on a tractor manufactured in 1979 would be a little over 9 hours a year. Got any pictures?

Not that unusual. I have put 130 hours, (520-650), on my YM2000B in 16 years of ownership.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #12  
Just to share an experience. All the time I'm starting an engine of my tractor (M9000) using a method described by kenmac. It takes 10-12 seconds to crank (and the oil pressure light to go out), before I'm allowing it to be started. Doing this I'm striving to feed turbo charger's bearing with oil first. Didn't notice if the cranking time (until the light goes out) depends on the outside temperature (tractor sits in a garage). But it always depends on the time spent after the last start. Good luck.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #13  
Yes it is low hours, tractor was not used much before I bought it. View attachment 492583

**** ! That tractor looks brand new ! Are you sure it's not a refurb ! I don't believe I've ever seen an original in that condition since I've been on the site

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #14  
**** ! That tractor looks brand new ! Are you sure it's not a refurb ! I don't believe I've ever seen an original in that condition since I've been on the site
It is a US sold model. Far as I know they aren't refurbed, at least by the big boys, just by individuals.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #15  
Possible explanation: RScotty once posted that after Yanmar closed its dealerships here mid-80's, there was a warehouse of unsold US-model tractors that sat for many years before the final one was sold.

I don't think anyone but individual owners renovates the US Yanmars. I bought several renovation parts for my YM240 from the local wholesaler of VN 'refurbs'. Their shop was always busy on warranty repairs and bodywork to repair shipping damage. I asked if they could renovate the appearance of my YM240. They wouldn't touch it - too rough, more beat up appearance than what their VN factory buys for renovation, they said.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #16  
It is a US sold model. Far as I know they aren't refurbed, at least by the big boys, just by individuals.

yeah, I was talking about refurbed by an individual. There was on guy on here that took his apart and restored it. Hadn't seen him post in a long time. This unit is in excellent condition for original !

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #17  
Possible explanation: RScotty once posted that after Yanmar closed its dealerships here mid-80's, there was a warehouse of unsold US-model tractors that sat for many years before the final one was sold.

I don't think anyone but individual owners renovates the US Yanmars. I bought several renovation parts for my YM240 from the local wholesaler of VN 'refurbs'. Their shop was always busy on warranty repairs and bodywork to repair shipping damage. I asked if they could renovate the appearance of my YM240. They wouldn't touch it - too rough, more beat up appearance than what their VN factory buys for renovation, they said.

yours is more beat up than what the're use too ? Now that's funny right there ! We have seen pictures of what these sweat shops in Vietnam repair . Maybe the shops here take in tractors in a little better condition than their VN. counter parts.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d
Try cranking using the decompression lever pulled out.
Keep it pulled while the engine is still turning over. Never let off the starter..... When the light goes out , push in on the lever, and the engine starts. See how this method works out.

kenmac I am certain now that the long oil light on duration while starting is due to the oil filter draining out. I received my oil filter from Hoye tractor today and as soon as I get some favorable weather I will install it and see if there is a difference. If not I will just use the method you described as that seems to be the best way to insure oil pressure when engine starts. I am curious as to why I have never had that problem with my Kubota or Caterpillar engines as they both have horizontal mounted filters on the side of the block like the yanmar.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #19  
I would think they use anti drain back valves in the filters ,so as not to drain all the oil back out. I use NAPA filters. They are a little longer with a little more filter media

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d
I would think they use anti drain back valves in the filters ,so as not to drain all the oil back out. I use NAPA filters. They are a little longer with a little more filter media

Yes Napa filter is what is on the tractor now and that is the one that is draining down. I am hoping the Hoye filters are better in that respect.