Washing Air Filter

/ Washing Air Filter #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I have read on here about the original Yanmar air filter being washable. Those who have washed it what did you use. Did you use diesel, gas, mild soap and water or just water?

I was just curious of what you did and was it successfull.

I have one that need to be cleaned out beyond blowing it out.

/ Washing Air Filter #2  
I used to wash my Landcruiser filters and blow them out with air afterwards. Just use warm water and a little mild soap, swish around after blowing with air first and finish with air dry. I ran 2 filters so when one was drying the other that was cleaned prior was used and keep changing them around until 3 washes then dispose.

Last edited:
   / Washing Air Filter #3  
I used to wash paper air filters as well when I owned several tractors. Only the primary element where there was a safety element as a failsafe. Using compressed air on a wet element is a very poor idea. Let the element air dry over several days at least. Neat 1500's strategy is one I would use.

/ Washing Air Filter #4  
Just soap and water. Soak, then swirl it around and flood with low-pressure water to float the dust out. Air-dry for several days.

If there is anything more than dust and grass chaff saturating the paper element then I would replace it. And analyze where the contaminant came from.

That is maintenance for the common paper element. The owner manuals discuss an earlier model washable element that I don't think anyone on here has ever seen.

Photo: YM240 filter housing decal. I put it in a 2011 thread I started along with pictures of various Yanmar and 'will-fit' filters. One ancient genuine Yanmar element felt like it had concrete sprayed on, maybe that was the one they meant to be washed.

220045d1309903936-air-cleaner-p1170479rym-ailfiltercleant-jpg

/ Washing Air Filter
ahh. A different type would make sense. Mine looks like a paper element. It has the yanmar symbol on it.

The only stuff in it is seed debris, fluffy stuff, grass type bits, small seeds, dust etc. Not oil or fuel contaminated or anything.

/ Washing Air Filter #6  
I went out to check my filters and I have 2 of the same. One I've been using and blowing it out with air to clean it. Looks like from the Inv. for around 8yrs.. And I did find the Org. that was in the tractor that I only used for around 1yr.. No doubt was replaced by Spalding.
Looking at the clean filter it's a Nylon fiberglass type material so it's going to get a good soaking for a few days and we will see what happens...

/ Washing Air Filter
The one I have that has a yanmar symbol on it came in my tractor. It appears to be paper. I have left it at the farm so it will be till the next time I go there to get my hands on it for closer inspection. That is if I remember when I go there to pull it out of the shed.

/ Washing Air Filter #8  
Had a minute while I had my Tractor Maint. supplies out. I decided to give the dirtier Filter a bath and see what happens. I'm going with Neat 1500 and use warm water and soap. It doesn't have any oil just mostly dirt on it. I may use a hair dryer to dry it. Honestly I don't think that the cleaner one was used much more than a Yr.. I've owned it 9yrs. and put over 550hrs. on it. The dirty one of the filters looks really good for a tractor that looked like it just rolled off a boat when I bought it. My bet it will look as good if not better of the two. Will see..............

Attachments

• 100_5899.JPG
    100_5899.JPG
    791.7 KB · Views: 106
   / Washing Air Filter #9  
Finished cleaning the dirty one! Was actually shocked how dirty the water was. Only a few inches above the filter and a few dips and drains and you couldn't see the bottom of the sink!!! I put it back in the Tractor and the cleaner one is drying now. I'm glad this came about so it will help remind me to wash out my filter's and not just blow them out. Which I see no damage in washing them...

/ Washing Air Filter
Carey both those look way less crudded up than mine. Mine have all kinds of crap in them from bushhogging. Not just the first/dust but seeds/chafe and fluff.

I am definitely going to fill a 5 gallon bucket with some soap and warm water and swoosh that old dirty one around and then set it out to dry or bring it in by the woodstove once it drains out. To see what it does to it. I will take some pics before during and after to show the results. Thing is like I said that may just be a few weeks till I can get to the farm.