2310D Starting

/ 2310D Starting #1  

tre873

Tractor
Yanmar 2310D
I purchased a 2310D back in the summer. It's always cranked over kinda slow. This is my first tractor and I thought it was normal due to the higher compression on diesel engines. I went to start the tractor today to swap the brush hog for the boxblade. Hit the key and the engine cranked really slow, just like a dead battery. I grab the battery charger, hook it up and wait about an hour. Hit the key again and still slow. Hmmm, maybe it's a bad battery (Duralast). I pull a battery from the RV and still cranks slow. Now I'm getting a little aggravated.

I check the voltage drop across the cables and across the solenoid, not more than .3 volts. I figure, it's gotta be the starter. I pull it off and start to disassemble it. First thing I notice is the odor like burnt wiring. As I pull the end plate, rust falls out, followed by a small piece of spring steel. Turns out, the inside of the starter was completely rusted and was shorting some of the windings together. I also discovered one of the brushes was stuck and the spring was broken. The rotor was caked in a combination of rust, brush dust, and oil. I lightly sanded the commutator and cleaned it really well. I cleaned everything else the best I could and reassembled it with the broken brush spring. Installed the starter back on the tractor and turned the key. I thought for a second, the starter was going to invert the tractor The engine has never cranked as fast as it did tonight. I will check the local starter shop and see if I can find a spring, if not I think I found an online supplier. When I take it apart again, I'll get pics in case someone needs/wants them. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Does anyone think it would cause problems to drill a small "drain hole" in the bottom of the housing? Just thinking that a hole would allow moisture to drain before it rusts again. The tractor is stored inside, but I have worked in the rain more than once.

Last edited:
   / 2310D Starting #2  
It's probably just full of rice paddy water that's dried out and rusted it up. Enjoy the easier starting.

/ 2310D Starting #3  
I purchased a 2310D back in the summer. It's always cranked over kinda slow. This is my first tractor and I thought it was normal due to the higher compression on diesel engines. I went to start the tractor today to swap the brush hog for the boxblade. Hit the key and the engine cranked really slow, just like a dead battery. I grab the battery charger, hook it up and wait about an hour. Hit the key again and still slow. Hmmm, maybe it's a bad battery (Duralast). I pull a battery from the RV and still cranks slow. Now I'm getting a little aggravated.

I check the voltage drop across the cables and across the solenoid, not more than .3 volts. I figure, it's gotta be the starter. I pull it off and start to disassemble it. First thing I notice is the odor like burnt wiring. As I pull the end plate, rust falls out, followed by a small piece of spring steel. Turns out, the inside of the starter was completely rusted and was shorting some of the windings together. I also discovered one of the brushes was stuck and the spring was broken. The rotor was caked in a combination of rust, brush dust, and oil. I lightly sanded the commutator and cleaned it really well. I cleaned everything else the best I could and reassembled it with the broken brush spring. Installed the starter back on the tractor and turned the key. I thought for a second, the starter was going to invert the tractor The engine has never cranked as fast as it did tonight. I will check the local starter shop and see if I can find a spring, if not I think I found an online supplier. When I take it apart again, I'll get pics in case someone needs/wants them. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Does anyone think it would cause problems to drill a small "drain hole" in the bottom of the housing? Just thinking that a hole would allow moisture to drain before it rusts again. The tractor is stored inside, but I have worked in the rain more than once.

It's probably just full of rice paddy water that's dried out and rusted it up. Enjoy the easier starting.

Yea I don't think a drain hole is necessary unless your tending your rice paddies in South Louisiana or something! ha That tractor spent its first life tilling up muck in a rice patty many times probably up to the axles in water and at least once over the starter, maybe a time or two:eek:

Yes pictures would be greatly appreciated. Maybe not by anyone today but it could be me next year needing them or any person that may stumble upon the site or use the search feature in the future.

/ 2310D Starting #4  
I went through a few the rice patty electrical problems. The first time I had to go into the starter that was for the rust and dirt also. But I was lucky and caught it before anything broke. Cleaned everything up and was able to turn around the brushes. That lasted a few Yrs. Before having it rebuilt. And that was only like 75.00$. My Charge Sys. Wasn't that easy and took awhile to finally find the last one. Bad/loose connection on the back of the Fuse panel. After every bulb on it replaced everythings been good.

/ 2310D Starting #5  
In 2004 I downloaded this from the Yanmar Japan website.

It illustrates that their tractors are designed to operate in water.

YanmarInternationalPhoto2004.jpg

/ 2310D Starting #6  
What I would like to see is a Tiller behind it also. Say 3 or 4 gear PTO @ a couple G's. Rpm's. Then I could
almost imagine all the muddy water being slung....