Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #1  

Coda1

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I recently purchased a YM2000 that was missing the factory fuel filter. Instead of buying a factory filter I bought a Parker Racor 120AT filter. It cost a little more but I was hoping to get an American made filter and better filtration. I am a bit skeptical if it is actually made in the USA any more since mine had no country of origin labeling on it. With the Racor I have a water drain and filtration to 10 microns. I believe the factory filter is 19 microns. I could also go to 2 microns but don't think it is necessary. There is just enough room to squeeze it in. I made a bracket that I bolted to the fuel tank support. I imagine it would also work on the YM240 American version and a few others. Second picture is the bracket I made on the tractor before bolting the filter to it. The last three are cad drawings in case someone else wants to make one. The shutoff valve was from Anderson Brass.
DSC09772.JPGDSC09763.JPGFront_View.JPGIso.JPGTop_View.JPG

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #3  
I too would have just bought the hoye OE unit. They worked for decades aND will work for decades more.

I bet you could get a Baldwin or some other amercantile filter if there is a cross for it. But even the wix , and whoever carquest uses now a days, purorlator, and Fram , even though made in isreal, India or china is probably better than the filters that a farmer would have used in the rice patties over in Japan, china, and Vietnam when these tractors were overseas.

Good work gabbing it up and making something you have confidence in. I just think it was a lot of time one would spend to do so just to get a water drain that should be unnecessary with as little fuel as most of us use between fuel filter changes. ..you would have to have some awfully water logged fuel to need it. The bowl catches it just fine. Also someone in the future or you might have trouble locating the replacement element instead of jus being able to look it up at Napa or carquest or wherever and just getting a replacement.

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #4  
Coda1,

Very nice install, thanks for the post.

Just FYI, and Coda1 you may already know this, that Racor R12T filter element crosses to WIX 33583.

Having that big filter sure can't hurt anything. My father in law filled up a couple of cans at the local big box store parking lot fuel station. Brand new yellow diesel cans for his brand new 45 hp John Deere. They had a LOT of sandy looking sediment in the bottom as he filled them. He took it up with store management and they replaced the cans and the fuel. My father in law was actually there when the service man for the station came to fix the problem. The service guy said the diesel filters on the tanks were the worst he had ever seen. I wonder how long they had been that way?

I've always heard it is best to get fuel at the busiest stations because they move more and it stays fresher. The station in question is the busiest in town and my guess is they move quite a bit of fuel. Point is you never know when you'll get some bad fuel.

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000
I'm a machinist and not a mechanic. A few hours making and installing a bracket for a better filter to me is worth the time if it might make the injector pump last longer. Based on what I have read good filtration is important. Some are filtering all the way down to 2 microns but in my research most say 10 microns is good enough. If it already had the factory filter I would have called it good enough but I didn't want to buy a oversees filter if I could avoid it. Buying a Japanese tractor was hard enough for me but there isn't an American tractor in this size range.

Next up is a bracket to hold the clutch pedal down during storage. Yes a block of wood would work but if I have a bracket permanently attached to the tractor I will never lose it. I want it to be easy to do so I will do it every time I park it in the garage.

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #6  
Next up is a bracket to hold the clutch pedal down during storage. Yes a block of wood would work but if I have a bracket permanently attached to the tractor I will never lose it. I want it to be easy to do so I will do it every time I park it in the garage.

I thought that was a standard item on the 2000, maybe an option?

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #7  
Coda1,

Maybe you could post some pics of your bracket when you get done with it, I'd like to see it.

Winston, my YM2000 doesn't have a clutch hold-down either. I've been using half a brick I found laying around to wedge it down.

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #8  
Clutch Hold Down Bracket: Take a look at the 'flip up' hook used on the 1820D. It is standard on mine, just figured there was something similar on all the other models.

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #9  
Go to figure 20 here to see what the clutch lock looks like. Pretty simple. file:///C:/Users/mabe1945/Documents/YM240Parts/YM240Parts.pdf

/ Racor 120AT fuel filter install on a Yanmar YM2000 #10  
My YM14 has it, if I remember I will snap a pic of it on the weekend.