336D lost 4 wheel

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #1  

Vern

Silver Member
I lost 4 wheel today, didn't hear anything, but no power to the front wheels. what to check?

Thanks

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #2  
I guess I'd start with the "feel" of the 4wd lever. Does it feel as if it is moving parts inside normally?
Lift the front end off the ground & spin one of the tires, do you hear any noise coming from the center (differential). Oil leakage?
I lost the front differential on a 336D years ago, it was run dry but I never saw a drop of oil anywhere on the front axle or where it was normally parked.

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #3  
there should be a pin that goes through the 4wd lever through the shaft sticking through the transmission. Make sure the pin hasn't fallen out. Check the drive shaft front and make sure the ball bearings haven't fallen out where it couples to the front diff

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #5  
Bump first 3 posts. Check for feel of shifter and make sure you check the pin and lift front end off the ground. I would also jack up the whole tractor if possible and try to shift into 4wd and spin a rear tire to see if it moves a front tire and check for any noises... Clicking, grinding ect and diagnose from there, you can check drivetrain pretty easy that way. Good starting point.

/ 336D lost 4 wheel
I found the ball bearings where out of the coupler at the front dif. I could not find anything on that in the service manual so I appreciate the help. All is back to normal.

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #7  
Something must be askew, they shouldn't just fall out.

/ 336D lost 4 wheel
I thought they may be some kind of shear pin type safe guard.

/ 336D lost 4 wheel #9  
I'm new the the 336D but I just took the front driveshaft out of ours. The ball bearings are held in by a spring loaded cup of sorts. if the cotter key comes out and lets the spring go the cup will slip back and release the ball bearings. That is how I got the driveshaft out.

You can pull the driveshaft cover back and release the front drive shaft, move it out of the way and feel of the front pinion and see if it will turn or is loose. Ours will turn easily and is wallered out pretty bad. Looks like the ring/pinion and pinion bearing are all worn out on ours.