Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #1  

AmericanByBirth

Tractor
2007 Cub Cadet 5234D
I'm pretty new to tractors and this forum so please bear with me.

The whole story is that I purchased a 2007 Cub Cadet 5234D from an auction. It has a FEL that works very well but the PTO is shot. I took it to a dealer and they aren't willing to risk splitting the tractor and rebuilding the PTO/transmission due to unknown availability of parts.

However, I've recently come into contact with a guy who is potentially willing to trade my tractor for a Yanmar 147D that has a working PTO along with a 48" mower deck that uses the 3pt hitch and PTO.

While the FEL is great to have I have a more immediate need to cut the grass versus using a loader for various tasks. I am used to using a wheel barrow for the chickens and rabbits.

I have about 2.5 acres of which an acre is woods. I have plans (don't we all) of eventually building a barn and adding some other animals but that's after other stuff.

In my head a working PTO is apparently more valuable than a FEL but the Cub is a 23hp while the yanmar is 14hp.

The forum has the floor....

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #2  
My FEL is priceless around the farm.

I only have one tractor with a FEL but several options to cut the grass.

You can cut 2.5 acres with a decent riding mower.

Only YOU know what will benefit you and your particular situation best.

FYI: Splitting a 23HP tractor isn't that big of a job. I replaced the clutch on my YM2000 last week and it wasn't that difficult.

td

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #3  
I was told once the 147D model was made 1986-1992. Mine works great. Could use more horsepower but so be it. I have a 48 in woods belly mower for it but don't use. Never ran anything off the pto so cant say much there. Only place believe it or not I wish I had more power is plowing snow. Need the speed and sometimes high gear doesn't do it. Never a issue using the loader.

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point
I've downloaded the service manuals for the cub so on paper, I agree that splitting it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

One option I'm looking into rather than trading is my local high school has a vo-tech that offers both heavy equipment and machining. I know they take outside work and figure whatever they can't buy the machinist can make. Labor is free because they're learning so it's only parts.

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #5  
There's your answer....

Take it to the local vo-tech and let them practice on it.

td

... Never a issue using the loader.

Good to know that they offer a loader for it. The tractor that I may trade for (the yanmar) used to regularly till a few gardens with a 54" tiller on the back so I'm sure there's enough power.

Was there ever anything that you couldn't do with it? With in reason, of course.

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #7  
As long as you do what a small tractor can do. I've had it since 1999 and never needed anything different for what I do. Reliable as they come.

Thanks for the advice on that.

He's supposed to send me some pictures tomorrow so until then it'll be up in the air.

I'd like to think I'm leaning towards the vo-tech option but in the little bit of time I've researched the yanmar, I've found a ton of info where as the cub information is harder to come by.

I still haven't figured out who actually made the cub cadet tractor for cub. I've seen hints at MTD but nothing solid.

/ Need help evaluating a Yanmar 147D Unknown year at this point #9